Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
This Mediterranean Chickpea Salad is my favorite salad to make in the Summer! It’s light, refreshing, healthy and loaded with tons of flavor! This recipe lasts days in the refrigerator and is perfect for meal prep! Gluten free and vegan friendly too!
Looking for more Healthy Recipes? Try my Berry Spinach Salad or my Mexican Kale Salad!
I love making salads in the summer with fresh fruits and veggies. This is the perfect light lunch when you don’t want something heavy during the warm summer months! The chickpeas make this a substantial lunch or dinner option thanks to the fiber and the protein! This salad will keep you full and satisfied for hours!
Chickpeas also known as garbanzo beans are one of my favorite things to keep in the pantry! They are shelf stable, last for a long time and are a nutrient powerhouse!
For this salad I wanted to incorporate cucumbers and cherry tomatoes which we have a lot of right now in the garden. I loaded this salad up with tons of greek flavors! Tomatoes, olives, red onions, chickpeas and cucumbers are all tossed together with a drizzle of lemon juice and olive oil. It’s light, healthy and uses up a lot of summer vegetables and herbs.
This mediterranean salad takes less than 10 minutes to throw together. Chop up all of the veggies, toss with some lemon juice, olive oil and serve!
This salad makes a wonderful appetizer or side dish. It’s wonderful alongside salmon, grilled chicken, shrimp or beef. You can even use this as a dip or salsa! Serve with my homemade tortilla chips or homemade pita chips!
Are Chickpeas Good For You?
Absolutely! Chickpeas are loaded with nine essential amino acids, lots of protein and fiber to help keep you full throughout the day. They are a great option for vegetarians and vegans who need meat free protein sources!
Benefits of Eating Chickpeas
- Stabilize blood sugar: Chickpeas are low in sugar and are a great food to eat that won’t cause blood sugar to spike.
- Control cravings: According to The Cleveland Clinic 1 cup of chickpeas is half of the daily fiber your body needs a day! Fiber and protein help you stay full for longer.
- Help with digestion: Chickpeas are loaded with lots of soluble fiber which help with good bacteria in the gut.
The full ingredient list and measurements are listed in the printable recipe below.
- Chickpeas: Are a rich source of vitamins, fiber and protein. I love using chickpeas in this recipe however you can substitute cannellini beans or black beans instead.
- Veggies: Tomatoes, cucumbers and red onion are added.
- Olives: I like to use black olives however kalamata or green olives can also be used.
- Herbs: Fresh parsley and basil add tons of fresh flavor to this salad. Dried oregano is also added. Add in fresh if you have it!
- Lemon juice: Adds a nice tang and acidity to the salad. If you don’t have any lemon juice on hand substitute lime juice, apple cider or red wine vinegar.
- Olive oil: Along with lemon juice create a light and healthy dressing for the salad.
How to make Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
This salad only take 10 minutes to make! Simply add all of the ingredients to a medium bowl. Toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. That’s it! Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Can this be made ahead of time?
Absolutely! I find this Mediterranean Chickpea Salad is best served cold. I like to make this salad a day or two ahead to let the flavors develop!
- Add cheese! Feel free to add some crumbled feta cheese on top. (Just keep in mind the recipe will not be vegan if you add in cheese)
- Add nuts! Add some slivered almonds, chopped walnuts, or pine nuts for crunch.
- Use fresh herbs: Substitute fresh oregano in this salad if you have fresh! I use a couple sprigs of fresh oregano.
- Use dried herbs: If you don’t have fresh basil or parsley feel free to use dried. Just keep in mind to use 1 tsp of dried herbs for every tablespoon of fresh.
- Add some heat: For some heat try adding in diced jalapeño or crushed red pepper flakes.
- Substitute veggies: Use whatever vegetables you have on hand. You can substitute any of the vegetables with red bell pepper, celery or carrots.
- Serve it with lettuce: This salad is delicious on its own however you can serve this on a bed of romaine, spinach or mixed greens!
Optional Add In’s
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Fresh Mint
- Hard Boiled Egg
What to serve with this Mediterranean Salad
- Greek Kale Quinoa Salad
- Hummus (I love Inspired Taste’s recipe!)
- Chicken Shawarma
- Greek Hummus Phyllo Bites
- Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges
- Easy Grilled Steak Kabobs
- The BEST Grilled Chicken
- Honey Garlic Salmon
Here are some more Easy Healthy Recipes to try!
- Strawberry Spinach Salad with Creamy Poppyseed Dressing
- Summer Fruit Salad with Mint and Lime Juice
- Easy Berry Fruit Salad
- Mexican Salmon Salad
- Easy Mexican Kale Salad
- Chopped Kale and Quinoa Salad
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
This Mediterranean Chickpea Salad is my favorite salad to make in the Summer! It's light, refreshing, healthy and loaded with tons of flavor! This recipe lasts days in the refrigerator and is perfect for meal prep! Gluten free and vegan friendly too!
- 1 10.5 ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup cucumber diced
- 1 cup tomato diced
- 1/2 cup olives diced
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add chickpeas, garlic, cucumber, tomato, olives, red onion, parsley, dried oregano, basil, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil to a medium bowl. Toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.