Grilled Steak Kabobs. Tender sirloin steak marinated overnight then grilled until caramelized with veggies and onions! This is such an easy and healthy summer dinner recipe, perfect for cookouts or even a low carb weeknight family meal!
- Why you will love this Grilled Steak Kabob Recipe:
- What are Kabobs?
- What ingredients do I need for these grilled sirloin steak kabobs:
- How do I make these grilled steak kabobs?
- How long do I cook the steak?
- What can I serve this with?
- Can I add any other ingredients?
- How do I store these grilled steak kabobs?
- More summer cookout recipes you will love:
Why you will love this Grilled Steak Kabob Recipe:
- They’re easy to make! Just whip up the marinade, soak everything overnight, and grill for a few minutes the next day!
- They’re quick! The hands-on prep and cooking takes about 20 minutes in total.
- They’re healthy! These steak kabobs are just meat, vegetables, and a homemade marinade! They’re also gluten-free and are low carb.
What are Kabobs?
Kabobs (or Kebabs) are small pieces of meat and vegetables cooked on a skewer over a fire. They originate in the Middle East but are found in so many different countries including Africa, India, Greece, and Turkey. They can be made with different meats – usually beef, chicken, fish or lamb/goat, and sometimes pork too.
What ingredients do I need for these grilled sirloin steak kabobs:
- Meat: I used sirloin steak. It’s the best steak for kabobs because it’s so tender and easy to cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Vegetables: I used green, red, and yellow bell peppers, as well as a red onion – simple, healthy ingredients.
- Marinade: This steak kabob marinade is a mixture of sauces and spices, including soy sauce, bbq sauce, Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, and also Italian seasoning.
How do I make these grilled steak kabobs?
The night before (or at least 2 hours before):
- Cut the meat and veggies into bite-sized pieces.
- Marinate the skewers in soy sauce, barbecue sauce, red wine vinegar, oil, dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. It’s the perfect combination of tangy and sweet.
- Soak the skewers in water to stop them from burning. You can also do this overnight or 30 minutes before cooking
When you’re ready to cook:
- Preheat the grill.
- Thread the steak, peppers and onions onto the skewers.
- Cook the skewers for a couple of minutes on each side. Just enough to cook and brown the veggies and steak. They don’t take long at all!
How long do I cook the steak?
It will take about 2 minutes on each side on a high-heat grill to get that perfect medium-rare steak. The Grilled Steak kabobs will be nicely browned on the outside, and juicy-pink on the inside.
What can I serve this with?
Can I add any other ingredients?
Yes! You can add other vegetables onto the skewers like zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, mushrooms, and even pineapple.
How do I store these grilled steak kabobs?
Fridge: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. To reheat cook on the grill, in the microwave, or in the oven before consuming.
More summer cookout recipes you will love:
- Grilled Huli-Huli Chicken
- The BEST Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Maple Dijon Salmon
- Easy Grilled Curry Mango Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Caprese
Grilled Steak Kabobs
- 1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small green bell pepper cut into large chunks
- 1 small red bell pepper cut into large chunks
- 1 small yellow bell pepper cut into large chunks
- 1 red onion cut into large chunks
- 8-10 wooden skewer sticks soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- chopped parsley for serving if desired
- Add steak, soy sauce, barbecue sauce, 1/4 cup olive oil, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning and pepper to a large ziplock bag.
- Toss to coat and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile soak wooden skewers for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- When you are ready to eat preheat the grill to 425 degrees and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Toss the chopped up peppers and onions in the remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and thread the steak, veggies and onions onto the skewers.
- Grill skewers for 6-8 minutes or until your desired doneness.
- Serve immediately with parsley for serving, if desired.
Originally published Jul 10, 2018