Creamed Corn Recipe
Skip the can and make delicious, flavorful creamed corn at home! Made with crispy bacon, onion and a parmesan cream sauce! Trust me, you’ll never go back to the pre-made stuff after you try this recipe! It’s perfect side dish for your Thanksgiving table!
Creamed corn is an American staple. Many of us have fond memories of enjoying the canned version of this dish as a kid, but like it often is with nostalgia, when we try it again as an adult, the spark is gone. This is what motivated me to make a homemade version of this childhood favorite. Let’s fall in love with creamed corn all over again!
Many folks default to the canned stuff thinking it’s the quickest way to make it, but this recipe proves you can make your own creamed corn from scratch in just 10-15 minutes from start to finish!
This side dish is perfect for family dinners, holiday meals, or a quick weeknight spread. However you serve it, you’re sure to love it!
What you’ll need:
- Fresh corn shucked off the cob or frozen kernels. 5 cups will do the trick! See my Tips below to learn how to best use fresh corn for this recipe.
- Bacon because it makes everything better and adds so much flavor to the whole entire dish!
- A small diced onion adds a punch of flavor to this dish that compliments the corn perfectly.
- All purpose flour helps thicken the creamed corn
- Whole milk is best for this recipe, but you can use 2%. Avoid skim if possible.
- Parmesan cheese adds a layer of savory, nutty, cheesiness that works so well with the bacon, corn, and onion.
How To Make Homemade Creamed Corn
- Cook bacon over medium heat until golden brown and crispy in a large skillet. Remove the bacon from the pan, transfer to a paper towel lined plate, and chop into bite-sized pieces once cooled. Reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon grease.
- Sauté onions in reserved bacon grease over medium high heat until golden brown tender, about four minutes.
- Add flour and cook for one minute, stirring continuously.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer, stirring continuously. Remove from heat when the sauce comes to a simmer. Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Return the pan back to the stove over medium heat. Stir in corn and cook until warmed through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately with crumbled bacon and chives. Enjoy!
- Make sure to “milk” the cob if you opt for fresh corn, like Silver Queen, by running the flat side of your knife against it to release that liquid. It adds ton of fresh corn flavor! Learn more here.
- Use a bundt pan to help slice your corn and collect the kernels. Just place the hard knob on the end of the ear of corn in the center hole of a bundt pan, then slice the kernels off and let them fall into the dish. This keeps kernels from flying every which way.
- Swap the milk for full-fat, unsweetened coconut milk for a nondairy or vegan option.
- Swap the bacon for pancetta if you’re feeling extra fancy.
What to Serve with This Homemade Creamed Corn
- The BEST Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Maple Dijon Salmon
- Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
- Grilled Steak Kabobs
- Honey Garlic Salmon
Storage, Freezing, and Reheating
- Store leftover creamed corn in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- Reheat in the microwave or in a skillet on the stove over medium low heat until desired temperature is reached.
- We have not tested freezing this creamed corn recipe simply because there are rarely leftovers, and if there are, they don’t last long enough to make it to the freezer. But if you do try freezing and reheating, make sure to let it thaw overnight in the fridge, then reheat on the stovetop. Be warned, though, that the texture of the corn may be funky, especially if you used frozen corn initially.
More Side Dish Recipes To Try
If you like this homemade creamed corn, then you’ll love these side dishes:
- The BEST Baked Beans
- Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges
- The BEST Cornbread
- Baked Parmesan Potato Wedges
- Grilled Corn and Black Bean Salad with Rice
- Corn Pudding
Creamed Corn Recipe
Skip the can and make delicious, flavorful creamed corn at home with a few pantry staples. Trust me, you'll never go back to the pre-made stuff after you try this recipe! It's perfect for weeknight dinners or holiday meals.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 5 cups corn, no need to thaw
- salt and pepper
- chives for garnish, if desired
- In a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until golden brown and crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and transfer to a paper towel lined plate. When the bacon has cooled chop it into bite size pieces.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in the pan and add in onions. Saute over medium high heat until golden brown and tender, 4 minutes.
- Add in flour and continue to cook stirring continuously for one minute.
- Slowly whisk in milk and bring to a simmer stirring continuously. When sauce comes to a simmer take off of the heat.
- Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Return the pan back to the stove and heat over medium heat. Stir in corn and cook until warmed through 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately with crumbled bacon and chives for serving!