Creamy and Rich Corn Pudding made from scratch with brown butter, heavy cream and corn. No boxed jiffy corn mix or canned corn needed! This will be your new favorite Thanksgiving side dish to make this holiday season!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
This Corn Pudding Recipe is the perfect side dish to serve for Thanksgiving or any time of the year. I wanted to make this recipe without using canned creamed corn or pre-made jiffy mix. To replicate creamy canned corn I added in melted butter and heavy cream. Instead of jiffy mix I used a mix of cornmeal and flour.
For extra flavor I decided to brown the butter instead of just melting it. Browning the butter is easy and adds a hint of nuttiness to this easy corn pudding. Simply heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook for about 5-7 minutes swirling the pan occasionally. I recommend using a lighter colored saucepan when browning butter. It makes it easier to tell when the butter is browning and helps from burning the butter.
What you’ll need:
- Unsalted butter: Adds a nice richness to the casserole. I take it a step further and brown the butter before baking. It is delicious!
- Granulated sugar: You can always omit the sugar if you prefer or reduce the amount. I like the sweetness it adds to the casserole.
- All purpose flour
- Corn meal: I like to add the cornmeal however if you don’t have it on hand feel free to just use all flour. I have made it both ways and it turns out great!
- Baking powder
- Salt: Balances out the sweetness in the casserole.
- Heavy cream: You can substitute evaporated milk or make your own evaporated milk at home using whole milk. I’ve tried both and they work great!
- Eggs: Help to bind the casserole together.
- Corn: Fresh or frozen work. Just make sure to thaw corn before using.
how to make corn pudding
- Preheat oven: To 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 9 pan with nonstick cooking spray, set aside.
- Brown butter: Add butter to a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until light brown / caramel in color. 5-10 minutes. Make sure to keep and eye on it so butter does not burn. It also helps to use a light colored saucepan for this.
- Combine batter: Pour butter into a large bowl along with the sugar, flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Stir in heavy cream and eggs and mix until combined. Fold in corn.
- Bake: Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and the edges are firm.
- Serve: Warm and enjoy!
- Store: Leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- Reheat: To reheat this corn casserole simply preheat oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile let corn pudding come to room temperature. Bake covered with aluminum foil for 20 minutes or until warmed through. You can also reheat individual servings in the microwave.
- This is more of a sweet corn pudding however you can make this more savory by adding minced onions, garlic, bacon or jalapeños.
- Shredded cheddar cheese would be delicious in this corn pudding casserole
- Chopped pimentos
- Add some herbs! Fresh chives or parsley would add a pop of green and freshness!
can this be made ahead?
Yes! This cornbread pudding can be made as directed the day before and stored in the refrigerator overnight.
Here are more Thanksgiving side dishes to enjoy!
- Honey Roasted Carrots
- Easy Sausage Stuffing
- The BEST Scalloped Potatoes
- Green Bean Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Roasted Garlic Brussels Sprouts
products i used
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 9 pan with nonstick cooking spray, set aside.Add butter to a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until light brown / caramel in color. 5-10 minutes. Make sure to keep and eye on it so butter does not burn. It also helps to use a light colored saucepan for this.
- Pour butter into a large bowl along with the sugar, flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.Stir in heavy cream and eggs and mix until combined. Fold in corn.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and the edges are firm.Serve warm and enjoy!