The BEST Grilled Chicken
The BEST Grilled Chicken is marinated in an amazing red wine vinegar sauce and then grilled until juicy and tender. This recipe is so easy and only requires 10 minutes of prep time! Perfect for cookouts or a quick and healthy summer dinner.
Looking for more Grilled Chicken Recipes? Try my Grilled Asian Chicken or my Grilled Chicken Caprese!
The BEST Grilled Chicken
This Grilled Chicken is the perfect summer meal! It takes less than 10 minutes of prep time and the ingredients are things you probably already have in your pantry. Simply throw all of the grilled chicken marinade ingredients into a large ziplock bag and toss to coat the chicken. Marinade overnight or for at least an hour. This is our go-to meal in the Summer. Throw the chicken on the grill along with some veggies for a low-carb healthy dinner that’s ready in no time! When you are ready to eat preheat the grill and remove the chicken from the marinade. Grill for 4-5 minutes on each side.
Marinating the chicken for at least an hour or preferably overnight helps to tenderize the chicken. The chicken comes out super juicy and moist!
I love making this chicken ahead of time to meal prep easy meals throughout the week.
Ingredients for Grilled Chicken Marinade
This marinade is the perfect combination of sweet and tangy. It reminds me a bit of Italian dressing without the herbs! This truly is the BEST Grilled Chicken Marinade!
- Chicken: I used chicken breasts, on the other hand, you could use chicken thighs, just make sure they are cooked to 165°F and no longer raw inside.
- Vegetable oil: You can use canola oil or something a little healthier like avocado oil or olive oil here.
- Red wine vinegar: It’s sweet and tangy, and tastes amazing in this grilled chicken marinade!
- Garlic powder & onion powder: Instead of using fresh garlic and onion I went for garlic and onion powder. It’s much easier than chopping vegetables and still delivers on flavor.
- Honey: Just a hint of sweetness goes a long way in this grilled chicken recipe, and it really helps the other flavors to shine.
- Lemon: Both lemon juice and zest get added to the grilled chicken marinade for a little touch of citrus.
- Dijon mustard: Mustard brings a little heat and another layer of flavor.
- Pepper and salt: To finish off, a little seasoning is added to enhance the other layers throughout the recipe.
How to make The BEST Grilled Chicken
- Marinate chicken: Add all of the marinade ingredients along with the chicken to a large ziplock bag. Seal the bag and toss to coat the chicken. Place in the refrigerator for at least an hour or overnight.
- Grill: When you are ready to eat preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Spray the grill with nonstick cooking spray. Cook the marinated chicken flipping halfway through until fully cooked (about 8 minutes depending on thickness).
- Serve: Immediately with an extra squeeze of lemon and fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
- Pound out chicken: I like to pound my chicken out before putting it in the marinade. This helps the chicken cook evenly and ensures it’s super juicy and tender.
- Let the chicken rest: After the chicken is done cooking I like to let it rest for about 5-10 minutes before cutting into it. This helps the chicken retain all of its juices and stay super tender.
- Add Herbs!: Feel free to add fresh herbs to the grilled chicken marinade. Fresh rosemary or thyme would be amazing!
- Use what you have: This recipe can be made with chicken thighs or chicken wings or drumsticks. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time. Chicken wings or drumsticks should take about 30 minutes on the grill and chicken thighs will take 2 minutes more on each side.
- Make it spicier: If you love some extra heat (like me) add some crushed red pepper flakes to the marinade or hot sauce to taste.
- Make ahead of time: This easy grilled chicken marinade can be made 2-3 days in advance and can be kept in the refrigerator.
What to serve with Grilled Chicken
- Roasted Potatoes
- Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Veggies
- Confetti Corn
- Pasta Salad
- Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges
Frequently Asked Questions
- How long do you usually grill chicken? I usually grill chicken for about 4-5 minutes on each side, depending on how thick the chicken is. It’s a great idea to pound the chicken flatter so it cooks more evenly and quicker.
- How do you grill chicken without drying it out? I keep a close eye on the time, especially when grilling chicken breasts. When my meat thermometer reaches 165°F I take it off of the heat quickly and let it rest for about 10 minutes to lock the juices in. You can also opt for chicken thighs instead which are a fattier cut of meat, They stay nice and juicy and are more difficult to overcook.
- Is eating grilled chicken healthy? Yes! It’s one of the healthiest grilled meats you can eat, depending of course, on what it’s smothered in. To make it even healthier, avoid grilled chicken marinades with extra ingredients like sugar, msg, and pre-made sauces that can be loaded with unhealthy ingredients.
Here are more delicious chicken recipes to try!
- Easy Chicken Marsala
- The BEST Chicken Parmesan
- Easy Chicken Shawarma
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Easy One Pan Bourbon Chicken
- Easy Thai Chicken Satay
Never miss out! Need more quick & easy recipes in your life? Subscribe to my weekly newsletter or follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest for all the daily updates.
We love to hear your feedback: If you try this recipe, I’d love to know! Leave a star rating below, and don’t forget to take pictures and tag me on Facebook and Instagram.
The BEST Grilled Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts about 1 1/2 pounds
- The BEST Grilled Chicken Marinade
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- *Prep time does not include marinating time*
- Add all of the marinade ingredients along with the chicken to a large ziploc bag. Seal the bag and toss to coat the chicken.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least an hour or overnight.
- When you are ready to eat preheat the grill to medium high heat. Spray the grill with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook the chicken flipping half way through until fully cooked (about 8 minutes depending on thickness).
- Serve immediately with an extra squeeze of lemon and fresh chopped parsley, if desired.