The BEST Chicken Parmesan. Tender pan fried parmesan crusted chicken breasts coated in panko breadcrumbs and cheese. A quick and easy 30 minute meal everyone will love!
The BEST Chicken Parmesan
This Easy Chicken Parmesan is one of my all time favorite meals. It comes out incredibly juicy, tender and perfectly crisp on the outside. It truly is the BEST chicken parmesan! I take thin cut chicken breast and bread them in a mixture of parmesan cheese and panko breadcrumbs. Pan fried until golden brown and topped with marinara and mozzarella cheese. After it gets baked in the oven for a few minutes until the cheese is gooey and melted. What I love most about this garlic parmesan chicken is that it stays crispy and does not get soggy!
This recipe starts with a three step breading process. Flour, egg, parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.To keep the chicken extra juicy I use skinless boneless chicken breast and cut them in half. I pound them out to a 1/2 inch thickness. This keeps the chicken really tender.
What is chicken parmesan
Chicken parmesan is a traditional Italian meal of thinly sliced chicken breast breaded then baked, pan fried or deep fried until crispy. Then it gets topped off with marinara sauce, then melted mozzarella cheese. This dish is thought to have been inspired from one of my other favorites: Eggplant parmesan!
- Chicken Breast
- Olive Oil
- Breading: Flour, Egg, Panko Breadcrumbs and Parmesan Cheese
- Toppings: Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella Cheese and Basil
How to Make Chicken Parmesan
- Slice chicken in half: Start by cutting chicken in half horizontally. Pound each piece until 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bread chicken: Add flour to a shallow dish, set aside. Add egg to a shallow bowl and whisk, set aside. Add breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese to a shallow bowl and mix to combine. Starting with the flour and ending with breadcrumbs, dip the chicken into the flour, egg and Parmesan breadcrumbs. The best way to bread the chicken is to keep one hand for wet ingredients and one hand for dry. This helps from getting the dreaded breading hands.
- Pan fry chicken: Heat oil in a large skillet. Add chicken two at a time to the skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden grown and cooked all the way through.
- Broil: Place chicken in a pan or sheet tray and top with mozzarella cheese. Broil on high until melted and bubbly.
- Serve: Immediately with tomato sauce on top and a sprinkle of basil for serving!
Can I bake the chicken instead?
If you prefer to bake the chicken instead of pan frying I recommend baking in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees. The ingredients and breading instructions for the baked parmesan chicken are the same as pan frying. Enjoy!
What makes this recipe the best
- Replacing some of the breadcrumbs with parmesan cheese helps to keep the breading crispy on the outside and super cheesy.
- Pounding the chicken to a 1/2 inch thick keeps the cooking time down resulting in a juicier and tender piece of chicken. It also helps the chicken to cook evenly.
- I start with a hot pan and make sure not to overcrowd the pan. This will ensure the chickens extra crispy and never soggy.
Can this recipe be made in advance?
Yes! You can prep this recipe by breading the chicken in advance and freezing. When you are ready to eat place frozen chicken in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
What to serve with this chicken parmesan recipe
- Serve with a big plate of pasta and extra tomato sauce on the side
- Zucchini Noodles for a low carb option
- Pasta with Garlic and Oil
- Egg Noodles
- Mashed Potatoes
- Pasta Carbonara
- Garlic Bread
- Roasted Garlic Brussels Sprouts
- Olive Garden Copycat Salad
Here are more delicious chicken recipes to try!
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Easy Chicken Shawarma
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- Grilled Asian Chicken
- 20 Minute Cashew Chicken
The BEST Chicken Parmesan
The BEST Chicken Parmesan. Tender pan fried chicken breasts coated in panko breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. A quick and easy 30 minute meal everyone will love!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts 1 pound
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- basil for serving if desired
- Cut chicken in half horizontally. Pound each piece until 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add flour to a shallow dish. Add egg to a shallow bowl and whisk, set aside. Add breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese to a shallow bowl and mix to combine.
- Starting with the flour and ending with breadcrumbs, dip the chicken into the flour, egg and Parmesan breadcrumbs.
- Add oil to a large skillet. Add chicken two at a time to the skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden grown and cooked all the way through.
- Place chicken in a pan or sheet tray and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Broil on high until melted and bubbly. Top with tomato sauce and a sprinkle of basil for serving, if desired. Serve immediately.
Originally published Nov 2, 2015