Juicy and tender Grilled Asian Chicken smothered in a sweet and spicy Asian sauce. A super easy dish that takes less than 10 minutes of prep time!
Grilled Asian Chicken
Time to fire up the grill again. This time with a sweet and spicy Asian inspired grilled chicken breast.
This chicken is super easy to make. Perfect for a busy weeknight meal. It starts with a sweet and spicy asian marinade. Made with soy sauce, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, sesame oil and Sriracha. I use half the sauce as a marinade and reserve the rest for drizzling the chicken once it is cooked. This sauce makes an awesome marinade for veggies and meats.
I let the chicken marinade for at least an hour to soak up the sauce. The longer the chicken marinates the more tender and flavorful it becomes. I like to make this chicken the day before and let it marinate overnight. Here’s what you’ll need:
Asian Grilled Chicken Marinade
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce: If you do not have low sodium soy sauce you can substitute regular soy sauce with water so it’s not too salty. You can also substitute coconut aminios for a gluten free version!
- Ginger: I prefer to use fresh grated ginger however ground ginger can be substituted in a pinch.
- Garlic: I always have to have garlic!
- Light brown sugar: Adds a nice sweetness to the sauce. Honey can also be substituted.
- Sweet Chili Sauce: Adds a sweetness and tang to the sauce. This sauce can be found in the International Isle in the grocery store.
- Sesame oil: A little goes a long way! Sesame oil gives the marinade a nice nutty toasted flavor.
- Sriracha: Is added for a little kick. If you don’t want the spice just omit.
- Rice wine vinegar: Gives the sauce the perfect amount of acidity. I find rice wine vinegar works best in this recipe. I do not recommend substituting any other vinegars.
How to make Asian Grilled Chicken
Combine the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, chili sauce, Sriracha, sesame oil and rice wine vinegar in a small bowl. Whisk until combined. Place the chicken in a large plastic ziploc bag. Pour in half of the asian marinade. Seal the bag and toss to coat chicken. Place in the refrigerator for an hour. Cook chicken on the grill flipping half way through until fully cooked (about 8 minutes depending on thickness). Serve immediately with green onions and sesame seeds for garnish, if desired.
What to serve with the chicken
- White or brown rice. For a low carb option try cauliflower rice.
- Steamed vegetables
- Chow mein noodles
- Lo mein
- Vegetable Fried Rice
Here are more delicious chicken recipes to try!
- Easy Chicken Marsala
- The BEST Chicken Parmesan
- Easy Chicken Shawarma
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Easy One Pan Bourbon Chicken
- Easy Thai Chicken Satay
Grilled Asian Chicken
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- green onions for garnish if desired
- sesame seeds for garnish if desired
- Combine the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, chili sauce, sriracha, sesame oil and rice wine vinegar in a small bowl. Whisk until combined.
Place the chicken in a large plastic ziploc bag. Pour in half of the asian marinade, reserving the rest to brush on the chicken during cooking. Seal the bag and toss to coat chicken.
- Place in the refrigerator for an hour.
Cook chicken on the grill and brushing with the reserved sauce. Cook until the chicken reaches 165 degrees (about 8 minutes depending on thickness).
- Serve immediately with green onions and sesame seeds for garnish, if desired.