This healthy and refreshing Japanese Cucumber Salad recipe is simple to throw together and packed with a ton of flavor! Sliced cucumbers are tossed with an Asian inspired dressing of soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and sugar! This will be your new go to side dish!
What Is Japanese Cucumber Salad?
This super simple and delicious side dish consists of sliced cucumbers tossed with an Asian-style dressing made of low-sodium soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil (toasted is preferred), brown sugar, garlic, and crushed red pepper flakes. Then, it’s topped with crunchy sesame seeds, and voila! Your Asian cucumber salad is done! Allow it to marinate for 30 minutes, or so, if time allows, but you can definitely dig in right away.
This is the perfect summer side dish because it’s light, refreshing, and super flavorful. It’s super satisfying without weighing you down! I love to serve this at weekend barbecues with grilled chicken or steak kebabs, roasted asparagus, quick pickled red onions, and some blueberry cobbler for dessert. Heaven!
- Looking for more Asian flavor? Add a splash of fish sauce or chopped Thai basil for more umami-goodness!
- Add more veggies like sliced or shredded carrots, sliced onions, or sliced bell peppers.
- Make this homemade cucumber salad more filling by mixing in some nuts like chopped roasted peanuts or sliced almonds!
- Turn this into a salad with your favorite leafy green lettuce, kale, and/or spinach, along with some protein like my chicken katsu. Yum!
- Spice it up with some sliced jalapenos or serrano peppers in place of the crushed red pepper flakes!
How To Make Easy Cucumber Salad
All you need to do to make this Asian Cucumber Salad at home is to slice some fresh cucumbers to your preferred thickness and toss them with the prepared Asian-style marinade. Sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving, and enjoy! It is easy to customize the dressing to your liking. If you want it sweeter add more sugar, less heat add more crushed red pepper flakes!
Wanting to make this for meal-prep? Go for it! Store the assembled cucumber salad in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 2 days. Any longer than that, and the acids in the dressing will break down the cucumbers and make them mushy.
More Side Dish Recipes To Try
- Quick Pickled Red Onions
- Cucumber Avocado Salad
- Air Fryer Vegetables
- Broccoli Salad
- Berry Fruit Salad
- Summer Fruit Salad with Lime, Mint, and Honey
- Berry Spinach Salad with Berry Balsamic Vinaigrette
Japanese Cucumber Salad
This healthy and refreshing Japanese Cucumber Salad recipe is simple to throw together and packed with a ton of flavor despite its simple ingredients.
- 3 mini Persian cucumbers, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp light brown sugar, or more if you like it sweeter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or more if you like it spicy
- sesame seeds
- Combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Pour asian dressing on to the cucumbers and toss to combine. Serve with extra crushed red pepper flakes on top and sesame seeds for garnish!