Super Easy Sesame Beef. Tender flank steak stir fried with red peppers and green onions. Better and healthier than takeout!
This Sesame Beef is AMAZING and so simple. Marinade the beef overnight and you have a quick and easy meal to throw together the next day.
This dish is just like the Sesame Beef you get at a takeout restaurant except it’s even better AND healthier. Most Sesame Beef recipes are fried in oil. I went on the lighter side and stir fried the beef instead. It’s just as juicy will less oil and calories.
One of the best things about this Sesame Beef is the sauce! The sauce consists of brown sugar, dark soy sauce, regular soy sauce and water. I use half of the sauce as a marinade and the other half to cook with the beef.
The trick to this dish is cooking the steak quickly over high heat. It gets a nice sear on the outside but stays nice and juicy on the inside.
- 1 pound flank steak, sliced against the grain into strips
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1½ tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- green onions, sliced
- sesame seeds for garnish
- *NOTE: Prep time does not include marinating time*
- Add both soy sauces, brown sugar and water to a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Pour half of the sauce into another bowl and set aside. (We will be using this when we cook the beef)
- Add steak to the other ½ of the sauce and marinade for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- When you are ready to cook add sesame oil to a large skillet or wok.
- Add in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove steak from marinade and saute for about 1-2 minutes on each side. (You want the pan to be very hot so the steak cooks quickly and browns.
- Add red bell pepper and saute for 1 minute.
- Add in the reserved sauce and bring to a simmer.
- In a small bowl combine cornstarch and water.
- Slowly add cornstarch mixture to pan. Continuously stir until sauce is thickened, about 1 minute.
- Serve immediately with green onions and sesame seeds for garnish if desired.