Super Easy Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken. Cooked in a slightly sweet and tangy Chinese inspired sauce. Way better (and healthier) than takeout! Serve with my Famous Fried Rice, Lo Mein or Chicken Chow Mein to make it a meal! If you are short on time and want to have dinner on the table in under 30 minutes try my Easy 30 minute General Tso’s Chicken!
General Tso’s Chicken is my all time favorite take out dish. It’s my go to whenever I order Chinese takeout. This General Tso Chicken recipe turn outs incredibly tender and juicy way better than the takeout version. It is coated in a sweet and tangy sauce. It tastes just like the General Tso’s Chicken you get at a restaurant!
You can also feel better about eating this dish because it is healthier than the takeout version! There is no deep frying in this recipe just a little oil used to sauté the chicken.
To add an extra depth of flavor to this dish I brown the coated chicken in a hot pan. This gives the chicken a nice caramelization on the outside and helps it stay tender and juicy while cooking in the slow cooker. The cornstarch also helps to thicken up the sauce.
- Chicken Breasts: Cut into bite size pieces. You can substitute chicken thighs as well.
- Cornstarch: This helps to thicken up the sauce.
- Hoisin Sauce: Can be found in the International Isle in the grocery store. It is thick, sweet and slightly salty. It makes the perfect addition to the sauce!
- Rice wine vinegar: Can also be found in the International Isle in the grocery store. Resist the urge to substitute with other vinegars. I find that rice wine vinegar works the best in this recipe.
- Light brown sugar: Adds the perfect amount of sweetness to the sauce. Feel free to reduce the amount of sugar is you do not like it as sweet.
- Sesame oil: Also found in the International Isle in the grocery store or at Asian supermarkets. Sesame oil has a wonderful nutty flavor. A little goes a long way!
- For serving: I sprinkle the chicken with black and white sesame seeds and green onions! For a kick add some crushed red pepper flakes, a drizzle of Sriracha or chili garlic sauce!
How to make Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken
- Coat in cornstarch: Add chicken and cornstarch to a large ziplock bag. Toss to coat the chicken with the cornstarch.
- Brown chicken: Heat oil in a large skillet or wok. Saute chicken until golden brown on both sides about 2 minutes on each side. (Note the chicken will not be fully cooked and that is ok)
- Slow cook: Add the chicken to the slow cooker. Add hoisin sauce, vinegar, sugar and sesame oil to a medium bowl and whisk until combined. Pour the sauce onto the chicken and stir to coat the chicken. Cook on low for 2-3 hours.
- Serve: With green onions and sesame seeds for serving, if desired.
What to serve with General Tso Chicken
- Authentic Chicken Lo Mein
- Chicken Chow Mein
- The BEST Fried Rice
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- White or brown rice. For a low carb option try cauliflower rice.
- Steamed vegetables
- Crunchy Asian Broccoli Slaw
Reheating and Storage Instructions
- Reheat: Leftovers (chicken and sauce) in a saute pan over medium high heat until rewarmed. You can also rewarm in the slow cooker as well!
- Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Here are more Chinese Takeout Recipes you can make at home!
- 20 Minute Beef and Broccoli
- Easy Kung Pao Shrimp
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken
- Easy Pepper Steak
- 30 Minute Sweet and Sour Chicken
Slow Cooker General Tso's Chicken
- 3 chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- green onions for serving if desired
- sesame seeds for serving if desired
- Add chicken and cornstarch to a large ziplock bag. Toss to coat the chicken with the cornstarch.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok.
- Saute chicken until golden brown on both sides about 2 minutes on each side. (Note the chicken will not be fully cooked and that is ok)
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add hoisin sauce, vinegar, sugar and sesame oil to a medium bowl and whisk until combined.
- Pour the sauce onto the chicken and stir to coat the chicken.
- Cook on low for 2-3 hours.
- Serve with green onions and sesame seeds for serving, if desired.
Originally published May 17, 2016