Slow Cooker Hawaiian Meatballs smothered in a sweet and sour sauce. They make a great appetizer or main dish!
Meatballs taste so much better when they are cooked low and slow in a crockpot. These hawaiian meatballs are no different! They come out super tender, loaded with flavor and are covered in an amazing sauce!
These meatballs are the perfect blend of sweet and sour. They are smothered in a thick sauce made up of pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar and vinegar.
There is not much binder in the meatballs just enough to hold them together. I added panko breadcrumbs and egg as a binder. I flavored the meatballs with fresh ginger, garlic and onion.
I like to brown the meatballs in a super hot skillet before adding them to the slow cooker. This adds flavor and gives the meatballs a nice caramelization on the outside.
The meatballs cook low and slow in the crockpot for 2 hours to heat through. This keeps the meatballs tender and juicy.
Serve these meatballs with a side of white rice or by themselves as an appetizer.
Love these Slow Cooker Hawaiian Meatballs? Here are some more meatball recipes to try:
- Teriyaki Beef Meatballs
- Thai Red Curry Meatballs
- Firecracker Chicken Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Asian Sesame Meatballs
Slow Cooker Hawaiian Meatballs
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1 jar (23.5 ounces) pineapple chunks, reserve juice
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- ½ tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- sesame seeds for garnish, if desired
- In a large bowl combine beef, breadcrumbs, eggs, onion, ginger and garlic. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Form into 24 meatballs.
- Heat a large skillet with oil. Add the meatballs and brown on all sides, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, to a medium saucepan add in the reserved pineapple juice, brown sugar, soy sauce and vinegar to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl whisk together water and cornstarch.
- Slow whisk in the cornstarch mixture to sauce. Whisk constantly until thickened.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Grease the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place meatballs in the slow cooker and pour the sauce over the meatballs. Add in the pineapple chunks. (I reserved some for topping for garnish)
- Cook on low for 2 hours.
- Serve warm with sesame seeds if desired!