20 Minute Beef and Broccoli
Easy 20 Minute Beef and Broccoli. It’s so much easier and healthier than takeout! This easy dinner recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight meal. Your whole family will enjoy this low carb, Asian-inspired one-pot dish, loaded with healthy protein and vegetables!
I love making takeout dishes at home. It’s like being at a restaurant without leaving the house, but it tastes so much better and is a lot healthier! Like my Easy Chicken Stir Fry and my Super Sticky Asian Chicken Bites.
In this Easy Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry recipe, I used low sodium beef broth for a lighter sauce, without compromising the flavor. The garlic and ginger really add some power to the dish as well. The end result is salty-sweet, garlicky goodness!
Best of all everything is cooked in one pot and comes together in less than 20 minutes!
- How to make this easy Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry recipe
- What can I serve with this 20-minute stir fry recipe?
- Is this healthy stir fry recipe low carb?
- Can I use other kinds of protein?
- Is this beef and broccoli recipe freezer friendly?
- Can I make this in the slow cooker or instant pot?
- Storage and Reheating
- Here are some more take-out dishes to make at home:
The full ingredient list and measurements are listed in the printable recipe below.
Protein & Veggies
- Beef: I’ve used either flank steak or skirt steak as it cooks quickly and tastes delicious, but thinly sliced chuck roast would work well in this dish too! It’s a great use of leftover Sunday roast!
- Broccoli: There are 3 whole cups in this recipe! That helps keep the calories low but you’ll still feel full and like you ate a large meal!
- Ginger & garlic: This adds so much to the flavor! The ginger adds a little heat without making it too spicy – perfect for kids!
- Beef broth: I prefer using low sodium beef broth to keep the saltiness level down.
- Sesame oil: This adds a delicious, warm, nutty flavor to the beef stir fry.
- Rice wine vinegar and oyster sauce: These two sauces add a depth of flavor to the meal. A little sweetness, saltiness and acidity is the perfect combination!
- Light brown sugar: Adds a bit of sweetness to the sauce.
How to make this easy Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry recipe
- Marinate beef: Add steak, soy sauce, baking soda, cornstarch and 2 tsp sesame oil to a small bowl. Toss to coat the steak and marinade while you are prepping the sauce and the broccoli.
- Mix the sauce: Add the oyster sauce, beef broth, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar and brown sugar to a small bowl and mix well.
- Blanch the broccoli: Add broccoli and 1 cup water to a large saute pan or wok. Bring to a boil and cook the broccoli for 2-3 minutes or until it’s a bright green color. Immediately transfer the broccoli to a bowl with ice water.
- Cook the beef: Wipe out the pan the broccoli was cooked in and add in 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan. When pan is almost smoking add in beef. Sauté for 1-2 minutes on each side. Toss in garlic and ginger and saute for 1 minute.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients: Add the broccoli back to the pan along with the sauce. Toss to coat the beef and the broccoli.
- Serve: Immediately with sesame seeds if desired.
What can I serve with this 20-minute stir fry recipe?
There are plenty of options! Here are my favorites:
- White or brown rice
- Cauliflower rice to keep it low carb and keto-friendly
- Chow mein noodles
- Lo mein
- Fried Rice
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Rainbow Vegetable Noodle Stir-Fry
Is this healthy stir fry recipe low carb?
Yes – it’s even keto-friendly! There are just 8g net carbs per serving, which is a perfect amount for a keto dinner. For keto beef and broccoli, serve this dish on its own or with cauliflower rice!
Can I use other kinds of protein?
Absolutely! I used sliced flank steak because it’s very easy to cook, however, feel free to substitute it for diced chicken breast or pork. If you’re vegetarian or vegan, you can use firm tofu as well. Marinate the tofu just like you would with the meat, and lightly pan-fry it until it’s golden and crispy.
Is this beef and broccoli recipe freezer friendly?
Yes, it is! Make a double batch of this easy dinner recipe, and freeze half of it in an air-tight container for later. It will keep well for up to 4 months in the freezer.
Can I make this in the slow cooker or instant pot?
Of course! Follow this recipe for Slow Cooker Broccoli Beef. This recipe is the one you need if you’d rather throw it together in the morning and then let it cook all day! There are instructions for Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli in the slow cooker post as well!
Storage and Reheating
- Store: Leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheat: To heat up the leftovers, simply add everything into a saucepan on the stove and heat it over a medium heat until it is warmed through.
- Freezing: Freeze this dinner for up to 4 months in the freezer. Then, when you’re ready to eat, thaw the frozen broccoli beef completely before heating it up on the stove.
Skip takeout and give this Easy Beef and Broccoli a try!
Here are some more take-out dishes to make at home:
- Sweet and Spicy Baked Honey Sriracha Chicken
- Super Sticky Asian Chicken Bites
- Spicy Szechuan Beef
- Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
- Easy Shrimp Fried Rice
Need more quick & easy recipes in your life? Subscribe to my weekly newsletter or follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest for all the daily updates.
If you try this recipe, I’d love to know! Leave a star rating below, and don’t forget to take pictures and tag me on Facebook and Instagram!
Easy 20 Minute Beef and Broccoli
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound flank steak or skirt steak thinly sliced against the grain
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 cups broccoli
- 1 cup water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- sesame seeds for garnish if desired
- Add steak, soy sauce, baking soda, cornstarch and 2 tsp sesame oil to a small bowl. Toss to coat the steak and allow the beef to marinate while you are prepping the sauce and the broccoli.
- Meanwhile, mix together all of the sauce ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Add broccoli and 1 cup water to a large saute pan or wok. Bring to a boil and cook the broccoli for 2-3 minutes or until it's a bright green color. Immediately transfer the broccoli to a bowl with ice water.
- Wipe out the pan the broccoli was cooked in and add in 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan. When pan is almost smoking add in beef. Sauté for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Toss in garlic and ginger and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the broccoli back to the pan along with the sauce. Toss to coat the beef and the broccoli. Serve immediately with sesame seeds if desired.
NOTE: Recipe has been updated 9/18/20