Happy Belated Easter! I hope everyone enjoyed their Easter as much as I did. I had a chance to relax and to spend some much needed quality time with my family. Easter is never quite the same as an adult but it is still a good time to reflect and spend time with your loved ones.
I love making any type of fried rice, shrimp, chicken, and beef are always in the rotation.Typically my fried rice consists of day old rice from leftover takeout. Not this time. I was in a pinch and looking for a healthier alternative to my typical white rice. I choose to use fresh brown rice and I was pleased with how it turned out.
Fried rice is a great dish when you have a mish mash of ingredients on hand. I’ll substitute mushrooms, leeks, or even celery in fried rice when I have only a few ingredients on hand. I also like my fried rice with a lot of egg AND a lot of sriracha. I probably triple the amount of sriracha in the recipe when I make it for myself!
Easy Shrimp Fried Rice
- Shrimp Fried Brown Rice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium carrot, small dice
- 2 cups large shrimp, left whole
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 4 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 tsp sriracha
- ½ tsp Fish Sauce
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp chili sauce
- 1 tbsp scallions, chopped on an angle (green part only)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium skillet. Add carrots and cook for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a separate skillet cook shrimp until translucent and tender about 3 to 4 minutes. Take off heat and remove shrimp. In the same pan as the shrimp heat 1 tbsp olive oil and add in eggs stirring constantly until fluffy and not runny. Take of the heat and set aside. To the carrot mixture, add peas and stir until heated through. Add in garlic and cook for one minute. Add brown rice back to the pan and stir in sriracha, fish sauce, soy sauce and chili sauce. Garnish with scallions and enjoy!