The BEST Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli. Super tender chuck steak cooked low and slow for 5 hours until fall apart tender! This tastes just like the beef and broccoli you get at a restaurant! Serve over a bowl of rice or noodles!
Slow Cooker Broccoli Beef
I love making takeout dishes at home and this Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli has to be one of my favorites. This recipe takes only a few minutes to prep and is incredibly easy. The chuck roast is cooked in the crockpot for 5 hours on low until tender. It’s cooked in a sweet and tangy beef and broccoli sauce. The sauce is made up of beef broth, soy sauce, garlic, oyster sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil and cornstarch to thicken up the sauce.
This Beef and Broccoli Recipe is so much better and healthier than takeout. You can control the saltiness and sweetness of this dish when you make it at home.
- Chuck Steak: Also known as chuck roast can be used. This type of meat is perfect for cooking low and slow.
- Beef Broth: Enhances the beef flavor of this dish. Make sure to use low sodium beef broth if you can.
- Soy Sauce: Make sure to use low sodium soy sauce if you can to cut down on the sodium in this dish. If not substitute some of the soy sauce for water.
- Garlic: 4 whole garlic cloves are added! Feel free to add even more or substitute granulated garlic instead.
- Oyster Sauce: Is a thick savory slightly sweet and salty sauce that can be found in the international or asian section of your grocery store.
- Light Brown Sugar: Adds a hint of sweetness to this dish.
- Sesame Oil: A little goes a long way! I only add 2 teaspoons to give the sauce a nutty flavor.
- Cornstarch: Is used to thicken up the sauce.
- Broccoli: I recommend using fresh broccoli instead of frozen!
How to make Beef and Broccoli in a Slow Cooker
Simply add chuck steak, beef broth, soy sauce, garlic, oyster sauce, brown sugar and sesame oil to a slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cook on low for 4-5 hours or until steak is tender. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid and whisk in the cornstarch to the reserved liquid. Slowly stir the cornstarch mixture into the slow cooker along with the broccoli and continue cooking on low for an additional 30 minutes or until sauce has thickened and broccoli is tender. Serve immediately with sesame seeds for garnish if desired.
- Use a different cut of meat: You can also use flank steak or chuck roast in this dish.
- Thin slices = tender meat: Make sure to slice the meat thin and against the grain to produce the most tender cut of beef.
- Don’t over salt: I recommend using low sodium beef broth and low sodium soy sauce to better control the salt level in this dish.
- Use fresh broccoli instead of frozen: for the best flavor and texture. Frozen broccoli can turn out mushy in this.
- Add some heat: If you like a little extra kick like me add some crushed red pepper flakes, Sriracha or chili oil to the sauce!
Instant pot beef and broccoli
To make this broccoli beef in the instant pot simply heat a bit of oil in the instant pot and select the SAUTE option. Add the beef and cook just until golden brown on the outside. Turn the pressure cooker off then select HIGH or MANUAL pressure. Add in the sauce ingredients and cook for 12 minutes then let the steam naturally release. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid and whisk in the cornstarch to the reserved liquid. Slowly stir the cornstarch mixture into the instant pot along with broccoli. Pressure cook on HIGH for an additional minute or until broccoli is tender and the sauce is thickened. Serve immediately with sesame seeds for garnish!
Can this Slow Cooker Broccoli Beef be frozen?
Yes! Leftovers can be frozen up to 3 months in an airtight container. Just make sure to cover the beef with liquid so it does not dry out. This Chinese beef and broccoli also makes a great freezer meal. Simply add all of the ingredients except for the cornstarch to a large ziplock bag. Add in the thinly sliced steak and freeze up to 3 months. This recipe can be cooked from frozen in either the slow cooker or the instant pot! Just make sure to add in the cornstarch after cooking.
Beef and broccoli stir fry
If you are short on time try making my Beef Broccoli Stir Fry. Everything is made in one skillet and is ready in under 30 minutes. Perfect for a busy weeknight!
What to serve with Broccoli Beef
- Authentic Chicken Lo Mein
- Chicken Chow Mein
- The BEST Fried Rice
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- White or brown rice. For a low carb and keto friendly option try cauliflower rice or quinoa!
- Steamed vegetables
- Asian Chicken Dumplings
- Cooked Ramen Noodles are great for soaking up all the extra sauce!
For a twist on traditional Beef and broccoli try my Beef and Broccoli Ramen!
Here are more takeout inspired recipes to try!
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Beef
- Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken
- Easy Sesame Beef
- The BEST Fried Rice
- 20 Minute Cashew Chicken
- Chicken Stir Fry
Slow Cooker Broccoli Beef
- 2 pounds chuck steak sliced thin (about 1-inch thick)
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 heads broccoli cut into florets
- sesame seeds for garnish, if desired
- Add steak, broth, soy sauce, garlic, oyster sauce, brown sugar and sesame oil to a slow cooker. Stir to combine.Cook on low for 4-5 hours or until steak is tender.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid and whisk in the cornstarch to the reserved liquid.
- Slowly stir the cornstarch mixture into the slow cooker along with the broccoli and continue cooking on low for an additional 30 minutes or until sauce has thickened and broccoli is tender.
- Serve immediately with rice and enjoy!
Originally published Jun 2, 2016