Authentic Chicken Lo Mein. Tastes even better than the restaurant version! This recipe is ready in under 30 minutes and is loaded with vegetables!
I used a mix of pre chopped stir fried veggies to keep it super easy. You can use any type of vegetables in this recipe. Frozen vegetables can also be substituted.
Ingredients in chicken lo mein
- Lo mein noodles: I used wide lo mein noodles you can also substitute spaghetti noodles.
- Low sodium soy sauce: This helps to cut back on some of the salt. If you don’t have low sodium soy sauce you can always mix regular soy sauce and water.
- Hoisin sauce: A thick savory sauce that can be found in the international or asian section of your grocery store. If you don’t have any hoisin sauce you can make your own at home.
- Sesame oil: This is one of my favorite ingredients! It adds so much nutty flavor and is delicious.
- Light brown sugar: Adds a bit of sweetness to the sauce.
- Rice wine vinegar: Adds a nice tang and acidity to the sauce. Rice wine vinegar can be found in the international or asian section of your grocery store.
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs: I prefer to use chicken thighs versus chicken breasts in this recipe. Chicken thighs are more tender and have more flavor.
- Vegetables: I used a mix of red bell pepper, broccoli, carrots and baby corn. Any vegetables you have on hand would work!
- Garlic: I always have to have garlic!
- Ginger: I prefer fresh however ground ginger could be substituted as well.
How to make chicken lo mein
I start by sautéing the chicken first in a bit of oil then remove it from the pan. To the same skillet I add the vegetables and saute them until golden brown and tender. While the chicken and veggies saute I mix together the sauce and boil the noodles. Once everything is cooked it gets tossed together. I serve the lo mein with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and green onions for garnish!
Lo Mein Variations
- Snow Peas, bok choy, zucchini or yellow squash would all be great additions!
Here are more takeout inspired recipes to try!
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Beef
- Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken
- Easy Sesame Beef
- The BEST Fried Rice
- 20 Minute Cashew Chicken
Chicken Lo Mein
- 8 ounces lo mein noodles I used wide lo mein noodles, you can also substitute spaghetti noodles
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons oil divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups mixed vegetables I used a mix of broccoli, carrots and baby corn
- 1 small red bell pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- sesame seeds for garnish if desired
- Cook the noodles according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar and rice wine vinegar, set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet or wok. Add chicken (I had to cook it in two batches) and cook until browned and cooked through, 4-5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the other tablespoon of olive oil to the wok then add the mixed vegetables, bell pepper and ginger. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- Add in the garlic and cook for an additional minute,
- Add the sauce to the pan along with the cooked chicken and cooked noodles.
- Toss everything together and serve immediately with sesame seeds for garnish, if desired.
Originally published November 2, 2017.