Super Easy 30 minute General Tso’s Chicken. Pan fried chicken tossed in a sweet and sticky sauce. So much better than takeout!
My Slow Cooker General Tso’s recipe is a reader favorite so I decided to remake an easy 30 minute version of this takeout favorite. This recipe is perfect for those busy weeknights!
Just like the original this 30 Minute General Tso’s Chicken is loaded with flavor. The chicken get marinated then fried until golden brown and crispy. It then gets tossed with a sweet and sticky sauce.
For a little spice I add in crushed red pepper flakes. You can also always add in a bit or sriracha or some dried red chilies.
For extra tender chicken I used a Chinese technique called velveting. This helps to seal in moisture as well as thickens up the sauce.
To make this 30 Minute General Tso’s Chicken start by marinating cubed chicken pieces with egg whites, soy sauce and Chinese rice wine vinegar. While the chicken is marinating prepare the rest of the ingredients. The chicken then gets coated in cornstarch then fried until golden brown. Whip up the sauce ingredients and toss with the chicken.
What to serve with General Tso’s Chicken
- White or brown rice. For a low carb option try cauliflower rice.
- Steamed vegetables
- Chow mein noodles
- Lo mein
- Vegetable Fried Rice
- You can even serve this as an appetizer over lettuce wraps!
30 minute General Tso Chicken
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup cornstarch mixed with 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 cups oil for deep frying
- sesame seeds for serving if desired
- crushed red pepper flakes for heat if desired
For the marinade:
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Add 4 cups of oil to a large pot or dutch oven. Heat to 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, combine the marinade ingredients together in a medium bowl. Add in the cubed chicken and stir to coat. Set aside until ready to cook.
- In a small bowl combine the sauce ingredients.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and dredge the chicken pieces in the cornstarch and shake off any excess.
- Working in batches, deep fry the chicken in oil until the chicken is golden brown, crispy and cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan or skillet.
- Add in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the sauce ingredients and simmer until thickened.
- Stir in the cooked chicken tossing to coat the chicken in the sauce. Simmer for 3-4 minutes to thicken.
- Serve immediately with sesame seeds for garnish, if desired.
- (For some heat sprinkle on crushed red pepper flakes)
Adapted from TABLESPOON