Egg Roll in a Bowl! This one skillet meal comes together in under 20 minutes and is gluten free, keto and low carb! An easy healthy meal the whole family will love! Only 310 calories a serving!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
Egg Roll in a Bowl
This egg roll in a bowl aka “crack slaw” is the perfect meal to make on a busy weeknight. When I am craving Chinese takeout but still want to eat healthy this is what I make. It’s the best of both worlds! This recipe comes together in 20 minutes and everything can be made in one skillet! It is low carb, keto, paleo and gluten free! It is also perfect for those on a whole 30 diet! This easy stir fry recipe is packed with protein thanks to the ground chicken and is loaded with anti inflammatory ingredients like fresh ginger and garlic.
Just because this egg roll in a bowl recipe is healthy doesn’t mean it isn’t loaded with flavor. This egg roll in a bowl uses ground chicken sautéed with cabbage over high heat to until golden brown and caramelized. This adds so much flavor to the dish! Everything is tossed in a simple Asian inspired sauce! This recipe tastes just like an egg roll but without the wrapper.
- Ground chicken: This can be made with ground pork, ground beef or ground chicken! You can also substitute chicken breasts or chicken thighs. I would dice them up before sautéing them in the pan.
- Shredded Cabbage: I like to use fresh cabbage I think it makes all the difference in this recipe. However if you are in a pinch bagged pre shredded coleslaw / cabbage mix can be used. You can also use shredded broccoli slaw!
- Carrots: Julienned carrots (thinly sliced matchstick carrots) are added for color and extra crunch. If you are using a pre shredded coleslaw mix you can omit the carrots.
- Garlic & Ginger: Add so much flavor to this chicken egg roll in a bowl. If you don’t have fresh use ground ginger and granulated garlic.
- Coconut aminos: Has a salty, slightly sweet umami flavor that goes perfectly in this keto egg roll in a bowl. Feel free to substitute low sodium soy sauce if you have that on hand.
- Sesame oil: Gives the sauce a hint of nuttiness and sesame flavor. You can find sesame oil in the international isle of the grocery store.
- Hoisin sauce: Is thick, sweet and savory and is the perfect addition to the egg roll bowl!
- Rice wine vinegar: Adds a nice acidity and tang to the sauce. Most rice wine vinegars are gluten free but double check the label before purchasing to make sure!
- Chili garlic sauce: Is added for spice. You can omit if you want this to be kid friendly. If you like a little spice (like me) double the amount of chili garlic sauce or add in some Sriracha.
How to make an egg roll in a bowl
- Stir fry chicken: Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in ground chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the chicken has browned and is no longer pink. Drain any excess grease and remove the chicken from the pan onto a plate and set aside.
- Saute veggies: Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the same pan. Next add in cabbage and carrots and saute over high heat until golden brown on the outside and tender, 4-5 minutes. Add in ginger and garlic and saute for an additional minute.
- Add sauce and combine: Add the chicken back to the pan along with the coconut aminos, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, hoisin sauce and chili garlic sauce. Toss to coat the cabbage and chicken in the sauce.
- Serve: Immediately with sesame seeds and green onions for garnish, if desired.
- Feel free to substitute whatever vegetables you have on hand. Bell peppers, zucchini or celery would all be good in this! You can also add some scrambled eggs to this to bump up the protein.
- We love to serve leftovers in lettuce wraps! They are delicious!
- If you’re not worried about this being low carb serve this egg roll in a bowl over white or brown rice.
- Sriracha mayo is amazing drizzled on top of this. Simply combine 1 cup of mayo with 2-3 tablespoons of Sriracha.
- This recipe is great for meal prep. Make the recipe as is for 4 servings or double it to get enough meals for the week! Simply portion and reheat in the microwave or skillet to warm up.
Here are other Healthy One Skillet Meals to try!
- One Pan Sausage and Vegetable Skillet
- Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
- Authentic One Skillet Shakshuka
- Easy 30 Minute Chicken Stir Fry
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Zucchini Shrimp Scampi
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 5 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrots, julienned
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos or low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tsp chili garlic sauce, or more to taste
- sesame seeds for serving, if desired
- green onions for serving, if desired
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in ground chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the chicken has browned and is no longer pink. Drain any excess grease and remove the chicken from the pan onto a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the same pan. Add in cabbage and carrots and saute over high heat until golden brown on the outside and tender, 4-5 minutes.Add in ginger and garlic and saute for an additional minute.
- Add the chicken back to the pan along with the coconut aminos, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, hoisin sauce and chili garlic sauce. Toss to coat the cabbage and chicken in the sauce.
- Serve immediately with sesame seeds and green onions for garnish, if desired.