Shakshuka is a healthy one skillet breakfast dish made with diced tomatoes, feta cheese, cilantro and eggs. Serve with baguette slices for dipping!
Shakshuka is my new favorite breakfast item. It is loaded with flavor, is easy to make and everything is made in one skillet. Best of all most of the ingredients you probably already have in your pantry!
What is Shakshuka
Shakshuka is an easy healthy breakfast recipe that originated in Israel. It is made by simmering onions, tomatoes and spices in a flavorful sauce then it is topped with eggs, feta and cilantro. It is perfect for breakfast or for dinner!
How to make Shakshuka
The sauce starts with onions cooked until golden brown and caramelized. I cook the onions for 20 minutes to deepen the flavor.
Next I add in the spices and cook them for 2 minutes. Blooming the spices before adding the tomatoes adds an extra depth of flavor. After the spices I add in the diced tomatoes and let them simmer for 15 minutes until the sauce is thickened and reduced.
Next I carefully top the sauce with eggs and bake for 8 minutes until the egg whites are cooked and the yolks start to set. The trick is to still have a runny yolk!
Once the eggs are set remove from the oven and serve immediately with fresh cilantro and a sprinkle of feta cheese.
What to serve with Shakshuka
I love serving Shakshuka with a crispy baguette for dipping. If you make this for dinner it would be great along side a side salad, Mediterranean Salsa or roasted potatoes to soak up the amazing tomato sauce.
Here are more breakfast recipes to try!
- Easy Breakfast Bake
- Homemade Everything Bagels
- Coconut Pecan Chocolate Chip Granola
- Blueberry Cream Cheese French Toast Bake
- Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Muffins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or to taste
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, (do not drain)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 6 large eggs
- chopped cilantro for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and sauté for 20 minutes or until golden brown and soft.
- Add in garlic powder, cumin, paprika and cayenne. Sauté for 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes or until the sauce is thickened and reduced. Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Gently crack the eggs on top of the sauce. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the eggs are set. (You still want your egg yolk to still be runny).
- Serve immediately with a feta cheese and cilantro.