Asian Sloppy Joes
These easy Asian Sloppy Joes are so flavorful and healthy! Ground chicken gets smothered in hoisin sauce, and ketchup, with lots of fresh ginger and garlic. Ready in under 30 minutes, it’s perfect for meal prep!
Ground chicken is light, healthy, and easy to cook with! Check out my Asian Chicken Dumplings and my Firecracker Chicken Meatballs for more inspiration.
These Asian Style Sloppy Joe Sandwiches are the perfect dinner for a busy weeknight meal. This recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes! Simply brown the ground chicken then add fresh ginger and garlic. Next stir in the sauce ingredients then serve!
These sandwiches have all the flavors of the classic sloppy joe you love but with an Asian twist!
I use hoisin sauce, ketchup, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic for the sauce. It’s the perfect blend of sweet and tangy.
I like to serve my Asian Sloppy Joe’s with slaw on a brioche bun with a drizzle of Spicy Mayo. You can also reserve extra sauce on the side for dipping!
What you’ll need to make this recipe
- Chicken: I used ground chicken for these Asian sloppy joes. You could substitute ground turkey, ground pork, or ground beef if desired.
- Oil: You can fry the ground chicken in any kind of neutral-tasting oil. I usually opt for olive oil as it’s very good for you.
- Ginger and garlic: These two fresh ingredients pack in a ton of flavor. But them pre-minced for ease!
- Sesame oil: Rich and nutty, I love to add sesame oil to all of my Asian cooking. It’s perfect in these Asian Sloopy Joes!
- Condiments: Ketchup, hoisin sauce, and soy sauce. These ingredients ass sweetness, saltiness, and umami.
- Sugar: Just a touch of sugar brings out all of the other flavors. Switch the brown sugar for white sugar or honey if desired.
- Vinegar: To balance the sweetness and saltiness I add a little rice wine vinegar. Substitute apple cider vinegar if needed.
- Buns: My homemade burger buns are perfect for these sloppy joes!
How to make Asian Sloppy Joes
- Make the slaw: Combine mayonnaise, sriracha, sesame oil, rice vinegar and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth and lump free. Add in shredded broccoli and carrots. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Cook and drain the chicken: Start by heating 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground chicken and cook until browned and no longer pink. Add in ginger and garlic and saute for an additional minute.
- Add sauce ingredients: Stir in the rest of the sauce ingredients and simmer for 1-2 minutes to heat through and thicken.
Serve Asian Sloppy Joes immediately on brioche buns with slaw if desired.
- The filling can be refrigerated for up to 3 days and reheated.
What to serve with Asian Sloppy Joes
- Fried Rice
- Garlic Fried Rice
- Air Fryer Fried Rice
- Vegetable Fried Rice
- Sweet Potato Wedges
- Roasted Garlic Brussel Sprouts
- Japanese Cucumber Salad
- Side Salad
- Zucchini Noodle Stir Fry
- Steamed Vegetables
- Chinese Broccoli Stir Fry
- Egg Rolls
- Vegetable Spring Rolls
- Shrimp Spring Rolls
- Instead of ground chicken, you can substitute ground turkey, beef, or pork.
- For extra flavor try adding pickled onions, pickled carrots, or spicy pickles to the sandwich!
- These easy Asian sloppy joes would make awesome sliders. Follow the recipe as directed but serve on slider buns for a fun appetizer.
- For a little kick add 1 teaspoon of Sriracha to the sloppy joes.
- Sloppy Joes are a great way to sneak in extra vegetables for your kids! I love adding finely chopped carrots, bell pepper, or zucchini to the sloppy joes.
- Spicy mayo would make an excellent topping. Spread a little on the bottom of the bun for an extra kick!
- Serve it in a lettuce wrap or lettuce cup with a side of Cauliflower Fried Rice for a low-carb option.
Here are more sandwich recipes to try!
- Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Sandwich
- French Onion Grilled Cheese
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Italian BLT Grilled Cheese
- Blackened Salmon Sandwich
Asian Sloppy Joes
Asian Sloppy Joes. Ground chicken smothered in hoisin sauce, ketchup and lots of fresh ginger and garlic! Ready in under 30 minutes!
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tbsp oil divided
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 4 brioche buns
- slaw for serving if desired
- 3 cups shredded broccoli and carrot mix
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- Start by heating 1 tbsp of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground chicken and cook until browned and no longer pink. Add in ginger and garlic and saute for an additional minute.
- Stir in the rest of the sauce ingredients and simmer for 1-2 minutes to heat through and thicken.Serve immediately on brioche buns with slaw if desired.
- Combine mayonnaise, sriracha, sesame oil, rice vinegar and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth and lump free. Add in shredded broccoli and carrots. Toss to combine and set aside.