If you are ready to take your grilled cheese game to the next level, look no further! This Italian Grilled Cheese recipe is made with ham, salami and provolone cheese! It’s the perfect summer sandwich!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
Italian Grilled Cheese
Grilled cheese is one of those comforting, easy meals that just never gets old. When you think about it, the variations you can make in this iconic sandwich, it makes sense that it is the sandwich that just keeps giving!
This is one of my favorite variations of grilled cheese with an Italian twist. The provolone is creamy and nutty and pairs well with the ham and salami. I like to add some Italian seasoning to the butter on the outside of the bread so that the butter becomes herby and so delicious!
The best part about Italian grilled cheese is that it is super easy to make. You can have this as an easy lunch or dinner and you will definitely be satisfied!
Italian Grilled Cheese Ingredients
My Italian grilled cheese sandwich recipe uses pantry staples to create an amazing sandwich! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Sourdough Bread: If you are a baker, using homemade sourdough bread would be amazing. Otherwise, use your favorite store-bought sourdough bread instead!
- Provolone Cheese: Provolone cheese is creamy, nutty and melty which is perfect for this sandwich!
- Ham & Salami: For this grilled cheese, I chose to add ham and salami. You can definitely mix it up with the meat if you prefer! Hot capicola or pepperoni would also be delicious!
- Butter: Softened or spreadable butter would work best. I usually just place my butter in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds to soften slightly if it’s not at room temperature.
- Italian Seasoning: I like to sprinkle the butter with Italian seasoning for an herby flavor explosion!
How to Make Italian Grilled Cheese
- Spread the Butter: Spread the softened butter onto 4 slices of sourdough bread.
- Add Cheese & Meat: Place two slices of bread buttered side down in a large skillet. Top with provolone cheese slices, salami and ham.
- Top with Bread: Top with the remaining two slices of buttered bread and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Cook: Cook on medium low heat for 3-4 minutes a side or until the cheese is melted and the outside is golden brown and crisp! Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tips for Success
- Use your favorite meats! You can definitely switch up the meats on this and try using other Italian meats like prosciutto or pepperoni!
- Cook on medium or medium low heat! You want the bread to get perfectly crispy on the outside and the cheese to get melty on the inside in the same amount of time. If the heat it too high, the bread might burn before the cheese can melt.
- Want more cheese? You can use an array of cheese by adding some shredded mozzarella or shredded cheddar cheese. Avoid fresh mozzarella since it has too much moisture!
- Use your favorite bread! I like to use sourdough bread for this grilled cheese recipe, but you can really use any kind of bread you like best. For a gluten-free sandwich, use your favorite gluten-free bread!
This Italian grilled cheese sandwich is amazing on its own. But you can also pair it with some side dished for a larger meal! Try some of my favorite things to pair with this grilled cheese:
- Homemade Tomato Soup
- Homemade Potato Chips
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Homemade Fresh Fries
- Chicken Noodle Soup
More Sandwich Recipes to Try
- Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Sandwich
- Asian Sloppy Joes
- Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Barbecue Sandwiches
- Easy Grilled Vegetable Panini
Italian Grilled Cheese
- Spread softened butter onto slices of sourdough bread.
- Place two slices of bread buttered side down in a large skillet. Top with provolone cheese slices, salami and ham.
- Top with the remaining two slices of buttered bread and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.Cook on medium low heat for 3-4 minutes a side or until the cheese is melted and the outside is golden brown and crisp! Serve immediately and enjoy!