Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches. Tender beef pot roast cooked low and slow and served on crusty bread with provolone cheese. A super easy make ahead meal!
Slow cookers are the best. Throw all of the ingredients together in the slow cooker and dinner is ready in 6-8 hours. How awesome is that? Best of all there’s about 5 minutes of prep time.
Slow cookers are a great way to cook pot roasts low and slow without keeping the oven on all day. The meat ends up super tender, juicy and loaded with flavor.
I sear the roast in a super hot pan before placing it in the slow cooker. This gives the roast so much flavor and helps seal in the juices.
The longer the chuck roast cooks the more time it has to break down the connective tissues and become tender.
What you need to make french dip in the crockpot
- Chuck Roast
- Salt + Pepper
- Beef Broth
- Bay Leaf
- Provolone Cheese (for serving)
- Onion Roll or any other type of crusty bread (for serving)
How to make slow cooker french dip sandwiches
Simply sear the roast and throw the rest of the ingredients into the slow cooker. Cook for 6-8 hours on low. Take out the roast and strain out the onions (reserve liquid). Strain off any fat off the broth and serve alongside the sandwiches. Top each sandwich with 2 slices of provolone cheese and place under a broiler until the cheese is melted.
What to serve with french dip sandwiches
- Three Cheese Mac and Cheese
- Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges
- The BEST Baked Beans
- Berry Fruit Salad
- Baked Parmesan Potato Wedges
More sandwich recipes to try!
- California Grilled Cheese
- Italian BLT Grilled Cheese
- Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Sandwich
- Blackened Salmon Sandwich
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Barbecue Sandwiches
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 pound chuck roast
- 1/2 onion quartered
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- onion rolls
- Add olive oil to a large pot.
- Season chuck roast with salt and pepper. Add roast to the pan and sear over high heat until the roast is browned on all sides.
- Add the roast to the slow cooker along with the onion, beef broth and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on the low setting for 6-8 hours. (I have found cooking it on high for 4 hours is not enough time for the meat to become tender.)
- Remove roast from the slow cooker and slice or use forks and shred.
- Strain the onions from the broth (make sure to reserve liquid). Set aside to serve on top of sandwiches if desired.
- Skim fat from broth (if any). Set aside.
- To assemble the sandwich layer sliced or shredded beef on bread and top with two slices of provolone cheese.
- Place sandwiches under the broiler until the cheese is melted.
- Serve warm with a side of broth.
Original recipe from chefsavvy.com. Please do not publish my recipe or pictures without linking back to the original post. Thank you!