Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew. Super tender melt in your mouth chuck roast cooked low and slow for 8 hours with carrots, onions and potatoes! Comfort food at it’s finest!
Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew
Beef Stew is the ultimate comfort food. Tender beef chuck roast cooked low and slow in beef broth and Guinness. The chuck roast comes out super tender and melts in your mouth. It’s warm, comforting and hearty.
To add extra flavor I sear the meat before adding it to the slow cooker. I like to do this in two batches to ensure the pan does not get overcrowded. Browning the meat gives it a nice caramelization and helps to keep the juices inside the meat.
I also add in onions, carrots, celery, garlic and potatoes. Everything gets added to the slow cooker and cooked on low for 8 hours. You can set it before you go to work and come home to a delicious home cooked meal!
Serve this Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew over mashed potatoes or rice with a sprinkle of parsley for garnish.
How to make Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew
- Coat the Beef: Add the cubed beef, flour, salt and pepper to a large ziplock bag. Toss to coat.
- Caramelize: Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Brown the beef in two batches until caramelized and golden brown.
- Cook: Add the beef to the slow cooker along with the vegetables, potatoes, beef broth, beer, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Serve: Serve immediately and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Tips for making Guinness Beef Stew
- Brown your beef: Searing beef in a hot pan gives the beef a nice caramelization and adds a nice richness and flavor to the final dish. I definitely recommend not skipping this step!
- Yukon potatoes: I love using Yukon gold potatoes in my stew. They hold up really well after a long day of cooking.
- Larger dice: I recommend cutting your vegetables into larger cuts. This helps the veggies stay together after 8 hours of cooking and not get too mushy.
- Freeze: This Crockpot Guinness Beef Stew freezes really well. I love to make a double batch of this recipe and freeze the leftovers. It can also be made ahead of time and frozen raw in a large ziplock bag. When you are ready to eat simply place in the slow cooker and cook as directed. It can also be cooked from frozen in the slow cooker. Just make sure to add an extra hour or two.
- Beer: Feel free to use your favorite stout in this recipe. Guinness just happens to be our favorite!
Can this be made in the Instant Pot?
Absolutely! Brown the beef as directed in the Instant pot under SAUTE then add in the remaining ingredients. Cook for 35 minutes on HIGH and serve!
How to thicken the stew?
If you would prefer to have a thicker stew you can mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water. Transfer some of the liquid to a small saucepan and slowly whisk in the cornstarch. Simmer until thickened and add back to the slow cooker and stir to combine!
What to serve with Guinness Beef Stew
- Irish soda bread
- Mixed Greens Salad
- Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Honey Roasted Carrots
- Easy Dinner Rolls
Here are more Easy Slow Cooker Recipes to try!
- Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Beef
- Slow Cooker Korean Beef
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Beef
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef
Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew
- 2 pound chuck roast cut into 1-2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 3 large carrots large dice
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 pint Guinness stout
- a couple dashes of worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound potatoes halved or quartered depending on size
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Add the cubed beef, flour, salt and pepper to a large ziplock bag. Toss to coat.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Brown the beef in two batches until caramelized and golden brown.
- Add the beef to the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Serve immediately and season with salt and pepper to taste.