Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew. Super tender melt in your mouth chuck roast cooked low and slow for 8 hours!
Beef Stew is the ultimate comfort food. Tender beef chuck roast cooked low and slow in beef broth and Guinness. The chuck roast comes out super tender and melts in your mouth. It’s warm, comforting and hearty.
To add extra flavor I sear the meat before adding it to the slow cooker. I like to do this in two batches to ensure the pan does not get overcrowded. Browning the meat gives it a nice caramelization and helps to keep the juices inside.
I also add in onions, carrots, celery, garlic and potatoes. Everything gets added to the slow cooker and cooked on low for 8 hours. You can set it before you go to work and come home to a delicious home cooked meal!
Serve this Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew over mashed potatoes or rice with a sprinkle of parsley for garnish.
Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew
- 2 pound chuck roast, cut into 1-2 inch cubes
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 large carrots, large dice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 pint (16 ounces) Guinness stout
- a couple dashes of worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound potatoes, halved or quartered depending on size
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Add the cubed beef, flour, salt and pepper to a large ziplock bag. Toss to coat.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Brown the beef in two batches until caramelized and golden brown.
- Add the beef to the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Serve immediately and season with salt and pepper to taste.