Melt in your mouth Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef. Cooked low and slow for 8 hours! Perfect for tacos, burritos and quesadillas!
Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef
I love the Beef Barbacoa from Chipotle so much I had to try making it at home. This Barbacoa Beef is cooked low and slow in the crockpot until it is fall apart tender. It’s the perfect topping for burrito bowls or tacos.
This Beef Barbacoa recipe is super easy to make. Throw all of the ingredients together into a slow cooker a let the crockpot do the rest.
The chipotles in adobo make this Barbacoa Beef smoky with a hint of spice. I add 4 peppers to my beef as well as a little sauce for an extra kick. I also add garlic, fresh squeezed lime juice, beef broth, diced green chilies and tons of spices. The meat is loaded with flavor and is incredibly tender! After the beef is done cooking I remove it from the slow cooker and shred it. I pour the juices from the slow cooker on top and let it rest for 10-15 minutes. This allows the meat to soak up all of the juices and flavor.
What is Barbacoa?
Traditional Barbacoa originated from Mexico and consists of either lamb, beef or goat slowly cooked in lots of spices over low heat. It creates melt in your mouth tender and flavorful meat and is perfect to use in tacos, burritos, salads and more!
How to make Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef
This barbacoa beef recipe could not be easier to make. Simply add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker and toss to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours, or until the beef is tender. When the beef is tender spoon it out of the liquid and into another dish or cutting board. Shred with two forks into bite sized pieces. Remove the bay leaves. Spoon the liquid from the slow cooker on top. Allow the beef to rest for 10-15 minutes. This allows the beef to soak up some of the liquid. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately!
What can you make with this Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef
What to serve with Beef Barbacoa
- Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Pico De Gallo
- Spicy Chipotle Guacamole
- Creamy Confetti Corn
- Enchilada Rice
- Homemade White Queso
Can you freeze this?
This recipe makes a great freezer meal! Simply cook as directed and freeze leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Alternatively you can freeze cubed chuck roast and the rest of the ingredients raw in a ziplock bag. Freeze for up to 3 months! When you are ready to eat take it straight from the freezer and place it into the slow cooker. Cook for 8 hours on low or until tender.
If you love this recipe try some of my other Slow Cooker Beef Recipes
- Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Beef
- Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew
- Easy Slow Cooker Mexican Beef
- Slow Cooker Korean Beef
Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef
- 3 pound chuck roast fat trimmed and cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3-4 chiptoles in adobo chopped (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- salt and pepper
- Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker and toss to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- When the beef is tender spoon it out of the liquid and into another dish or cutting board. Shred with two forks into bite sized pieces.
- Remove the bay leaves
- Spoon the liquid from the slow cooker on top. Allow the beef to rest for 10-15 minutes. This allows the beef to soak up some of the liquid.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately!
Originally published Sep 21, 2016