Easy Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken cooked low and slow for 4-6 hours with green chilies, salsa, and Mexican spices. Perfect for burritos, salads and tacos!
This Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken goes perfectly in burritos bowls, quesadillas, tacos or alongside rice and beans. You can use it in so many ways and the recipe makes a lot! It is the perfect recipe to make at the beginning of the week so you have tons of leftovers. I made this chicken in my favorite crockpot. It’s what I use for all of my slow cooker recipes.
- Chicken thighs: I like to use boneless skinless chicken thighs in this recipe. It keeps the chicken from getting dried out in the slow cooker. You can substitute bone in chicken or chicken breast in this recipe. Just make sure to adjust time for chicken breast. I would cook it no more than 4 hours on low.
- Salsa: Use your favorite kind of salsa! I like my chicken spicy so I usually use a hotter salsa.
- Diced green chilies: You can find these canned chilies in the International Isle in the supermarket next to the enchilada sauce!
- Diced tomatoes: Make sure to drain the tomatoes before adding to the slow cooker.
- Chipotle peppers: I add in two chipotle peppers for a little kick. You can always add more or less depending on your preferred spice level. They add a nice smokiness to the dish.
- Spices: I add in chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and oregano for lots of flavor!
How to make Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
This Mexican Chicken could not be any easier to make. Simply add the chicken thighs, seasonings, green chilies, chipotle peppers, salsa and diced tomatoes to the slow cooker. Stir then cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-4 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily. (You can shred the chicken in the slow cooker or take it out and shred on a cutting board and add it back to the slow cooker). Tip: Use a hand mixer to shred the chicken. Sounds crazy but works like magic! Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with fresh chopped cilantro if desired.
What to make with this Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
Side dishes to serve with these Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Thighs
- Refried Black Beans
- Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
- Creamy Mexican Corn Salad
- Mexican Kale Salad
- Avocado Corn and Black Bean Salsa
Here are more Easy Slow Cooker Recipes to try!
- Slow Cooker Firecracker Chicken Meatballs
- Easy Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Beef
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1-2 chipotle peppers depending on how spicy you would like it
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro for serving if desired
- Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker except for the salt, pepper and cilantro. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-4 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily. (You can shred the chicken in the slow cooker or take it out and shred on a cutting board and add it back to the slow cooker)
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with cilantro if desired.