Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken cooked low and slow for 4-6 hours with green chilies, salsa, and Mexican spices. Perfect for burritos, salads and tacos!
This Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken goes perfectly in burritos bowls, quesadillas, tacos or alongside rice and beans. You can use it in so many ways and the recipe makes a lot! It is the perfect recipe to make at the beginning of the week so you have tons of leftovers. I made this chicken in my favorite crockpot. It’s what I use for all of my slow cooker recipes.
This Mexican Chicken could not be any easier to make. Simply add the chicken thighs, seasonings, green chilies, salsa and diced tomatoes. Stir then cook on low for 4 hours or until the chicken easily shreds.
I add in two chipotle peppers for a little kick. You can always add more or less depending on your preferred spice level. When the chicken is done top with fresh chopped cilantro!
Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
- 1½ pounds chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1-2 chipotle peppers (depending on how spicy you would like it)
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cilantro for serving, if desired
- Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker except for the salt, pepper and cilantro. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-4 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily. (You can shred the chicken in the slow cooker or take it out and shred on a cutting board and add it back to the slow cooker)
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with cilantro if desired.