Slow Cooker Orange Chicken. This recipe is perfect when you want a no-fuss takeout meal without all of the extra calories! This easy orange chicken recipe is gluten-free, has no extra sugar or MSG, and is perfect for the entire family!
Take out dishes are some of my favorite recipes to make at home, especially this tasty Slow Cooker Orange Chicken.
- Why I can’t get enough this Slow Cooker Orange Chicken:
- How do I make this Slow Cooker Orange Chicken?
- What do I serve with this easy orange chicken dish?
- Can I turn the spicy heat up or down a notch?
- How do I store this Slow Cooker Orange Chicken?
- Can this be made in the Instant Pot?
- Here are more easy slow cooker takeout recipes to enjoy!
Why I can’t get enough this Slow Cooker Orange Chicken:
- It’s healthier than takeout! Asian Takeout food is usually loaded with MSG and extra sugar. There’s no need for all of that! Making it yourself means you can choose better ingredients.
- It’s easy to make! This easy Orange Chicken recipe takes literally 10 minutes to throw together. 10. Minutes. You could start your coffee in the morning, throw this together, and by the time your coffee is ready to drink, dinner is ready to cook!
- It uses a slow cooker. Slow cookers are hands down my favorite kitchen appliance because they really bring out the meal’s flavors and cooks meat to an oh-so-tender perfection. Fail-proof deliciousness. Every. Single. Time!
- There’s no deep-frying! In this recipe, we just sauté the chicken in a little oil, cutting the calories in half, and then add it to the slow cooker. The chicken comes out extra juicy, tender and loaded with flavor!
How do I make this Slow Cooker Orange Chicken?
It takes just 3 easy steps and 10 minutes:
- Prepare the chicken: Add the cornstarch, salt, pepper and chicken to a ziplock bag and shake it until the chicken is well coated with the other ingredients. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a wok and sauté the chicken for 2 minutes until it’s golden brown. It won’t cook all the way through – that’s the slow cooker’s job! Place it in the slow cooker.
- Sauté the garlic and ginger: this is what takes their flavors to another level. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the same wok. Add the ginger and the garlic and sauté for one minute, then add it to the slow cooker.
- Mix the sauce ingredients: Add the orange marmalade, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil and red pepper flakes to a mixing bowl or large measuring cup and stir until it is well combined. Add it to the slow cooker and mix everything together. It’s ready to cook!
What do I serve with this easy orange chicken dish?
Can I turn the spicy heat up or down a notch?
Absolutely! If you want more heat, add some Sriracha sauce to your portion after it’s served. To turn the heat down, just completely skip the crushed red chili flakes when you make the sauce. This is great for feeding the whole family – no heat for the kids, extra spice for the grown-ups!
How do I store this Slow Cooker Orange Chicken?
Fridge: Store this orange chicken dish in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
Freezer: Store in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw completely before reheating in a pot on the stove.
Can this be made in the Instant Pot?
Yes! Simply brown the chicken as directed in the Instant Pot then add all of the sauce ingredients to the instant pot and pressure cook for 5 minutes then allow it to naturally release.
Here are more easy slow cooker takeout recipes to enjoy!
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Easy Slow Cooker Broccoli Beef
- The BEST Slow Cooker Korean Beef
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken
- Slow Cooker Sriracha Meatballs
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- 2 tablespoons oil divided
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- green onions for garnish if desired
- orange slices for garnish if desired
- Add chicken, cornstarch, salt and pepper to a large ziplock bag. Toss to coat the chicken.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet or wok.
- Saute chicken until golden brown on both sides about 2 minutes on each side. (Note the chicken will not be fully cooked and that is ok)
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining tablespoon to the same skillet and sauté garlic and ginger for 1 minute. Add the garlic and ginger to the slow cooker.
- In a large measuring cup mix together all of the sauce ingredients and add to the slow cooker and stir to coat the chicken.
- Cook on low for 2-3 hours. (Mine took 2 hours exactly)
- Serve with green onions and sesame seeds for serving, if desired.