Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup. Loaded with egg noodles, chicken, and fresh herbs. Ready in less than 30 minutes and perfect for meal prep, this is the perfect cold-weather dinner!
Do you have a go-to soup for when you’re feeling under the weather? You do now! I always make this Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup when I need a little pick-me-up. This soup always makes me feel instantaneously better.
This Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup is comfort food at its best. It is loaded with a ton of veggies, shredded chicken, egg noodles, and fresh herbs. Best of all it only takes 30 minutes in the Instant Pot!
- How to make Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- What to serve with Chicken Noodle Soup
- Can you freeze this soup?
- Tips for Success
- How do you use an instant pot for soup?
- Do you cook noodles before adding them to chicken noodle soup?
- What type of noodles are in chicken noodle soup?
- Here are more soup recipes to enjoy!
- Chicken Thighs: Chicken breasts also work great in this soup. Whichever is easiest for you!
- Vegetables: I added three very simple vegetables: carrot, celery, and onion. It really tastes comforting and nutritious.
- Herbs: Garlic, bay leaves, fresh thyme, and fresh parsley add so much herby flavor to this easy chicken soup recipe. I prefer to use fresh herbs when possible as they tend to taste best but use 1 teaspoon of dried thyme and parsley if you’re out of fresh.
- Chicken Broth: I prefer to use low sodium chicken broth. If using regular substitute some of the broth for water.
- Egg Noodles: If you can’t find egg noodles, fusilli pasta is the next best thing!
- Lemon: A squeeze of lemon or lime at the end is the perfect balance to the other ingredients.
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
This soup takes just 30 minutes from start to finish in the Instant Pot! It’s the perfect one-pot meal!
- I use the sauté option on the Instant pot to sauté my onions, carrots, and celery in butter.
- Then I add in my chicken stock, chicken thighs, and fresh herbs.
- I set the Instant Pot to manual and cook for 8 minutes or until the chicken shreds easily with two forks.
- Once the chicken is cooked I leave the lid off of the instant pot and add the noodles and let them boil until al dente.
- Right before serving, I add the juice of one lemon. It brightens the soup so much and makes it that much more delicious!
What to serve with Chicken Noodle Soup
Can you freeze this soup?
This soup does freeze well. If you are planning to freeze the soup I would suggest cooking the egg noodles separately and freezing the broth in an airtight container. When you are ready to serve reheat the soup on the stovetop and serve with cooked egg noodles, tortellini or rice!
Tips for Success
- You can also make this soup in the slow cooker! Add all of the ingredients apart from the lemon and egg noodles to the crockpot, and cook on low for 4 hours or high for 6. Add in the pasta and cook it in the soup for the final 30 minutes. Squeeze with lemon and serve!
- Add other vegetables: Zucchini, yellow squash, parsnips, bell peppers, broccoli, and cauliflower all go well in this recipe.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
- Reheat in a pot on the stove or microwave until it’s heated through.
How do you use an instant pot for soup?
It’s pretty easy! I begin by sautéing onion, garlic, and other vegetables. Then I add broth and any raw meat (chicken in this instance) and cook under high pressure. When it’s finished, I add in pasta and cook it for just a few minutes until it is al dente. So simple!
Do you cook noodles before adding them to chicken noodle soup?
No, just add them straight into the soup and allow them to cook in the broth. It tastes much better than cooking them in water!
What type of noodles are in chicken noodle soup?
Egg noodles are the traditional noodle added to chicken noodle soup. They are the dried German variety, and although there are a few different shapes, the corkscrew kid that looks a little like fusilli is the best one to use for chicken noodle soup!
Here are more soup recipes to enjoy!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- Italian Meatball Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 cups egg noodles uncooked
- juice of one lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Set Instant Pot to Saute.
- Add butter and cook until melted. Add in the onions, carrots and celery and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until they start to get a bit of color on them.
- Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in chicken broth, chicken thighs, bay leaves, parsley and thyme. Cancel the Sauté option and switch to the Manual setting. Cover and set for 8 minutes.
- Once finished carefully release pressure and when ready remove the lid.
- Remove the chicken from the soup and shred with two forks.
- Add the uncooked noodles to the Instant Pot and set to Sauté for 6 minutes or until the noodles are al dente.
- Turn off the Instant Pot and add back in the shredded chicken and stir in the lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Discard bay leaves and serve immediately.