Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup cooked low and slow for 6 hours! Super comforting and perfect for winter!
This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup is the perfect meal to warm you up on a cold day! This soup is loaded with veggies, shredded chicken and cheese tortellini. This soup simmers low and slow for 6 hours in the slow cooker. That means little effort and lots of flavor. Serve this soup with some crusty bread and a nice salad and enjoy!
- Chicken Breasts (Chicken thighs also work great in this soup)
- Chicken Broth (I prefer to use low sodium chicken broth. If using regular substitute some of the broth for water).
- Bay Leaves
- Salt and Pepper
- Italian Seasoning
- Cheese Tortellini
- Fresh parsley for serving
How to make Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup
To make this Chicken Tortellini Soup simply add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker except for the tortellini. Cook on low for 6 hours. Remove the cooked chicken from the slow cooker and shred or cube and add back to the slow cooker. Add in the tortellini and cook for 15 minutes or until they are cooked all the way through. I like to add the tortellini in about 15 minutes before serving so they don’t get mushy. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Discard bay leaves and serve immediately with chopped parsley, if desired. Keep warm until ready to serve!
Can you freeze this soup?
This soup does freeze well. If you are planning to freeze the soup I would suggest cooking the tortellini separately and freezing the broth in an airtight container. When you are ready to serve reheat the soup on the stove top and serve with cooked tortellini, noodles or rice!
Can this be made in the instant pot?
Yes! If you are short on time you can make this soup in under 30 minutes in the Instant Pot! Start by selecting the sauté option. Add you veggies and a bit of oil to the Instant Pot and sauté until golden brown. Add in the rest of the ingredients and set the Instant Pot to manual. Cover and cook for 8 minutes. Release the steam and remove the chicken and shred. While you are shredding the chicken add the tortellini to the pot. Select the sauté option and cook the tortellini until tender and warmed through, about 5 minutes or so. Add the shredded chicken back to the pot and serve!
Can this be made on the stovetop?
Yes! Simply sauté vegetables and oil in a large pot. Cook until golden brown and tender. Add in raw chicken and the rest of the ingredients (except for the tortellini). Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and shreds easily. Remove the chicken from the pot and shred with two forks. Add the tortellini to the soup and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through and tender. Add the chicken back to the pot and serve!
- I like to use refrigerated cheese tortellini however frozen tortellini can be used just make sure to add a couple extra minutes to the cooking time.
- The tortellini tends to soak up some of the liquid when it’s refrigerated. When you reheat the soup make sure to add some more chicken broth.
- For a twist on this soup try it with egg noodles or rice! You can also omit the chicken and swap the broth for veggie broth to keep it vegetarian.
- To make this soup even healthier I like to add even more vegetables! Peas, corn. zucchini and spinach are some of my favorites to add to this soup!
- To save on time I like to shred my chicken in the stand mixer with the paddle attachment. It shreds easily and takes less than a minute!
Here are more soup recipes to enjoy!
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- Italian Meatball Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 medium carrots diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or more to taste
- 2 cups cheese tortellini
- chopped fresh parsley for serving if desired
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker except for the tortellini.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the slow cooker and shred or cube and add back to the slow cooker.
- Add in the tortellini and cook for 15 minutes or until they are cooked all the way through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Discard bay leaves and serve immediately with chopped parsley, if desired
Originally published March 19, 2018