This Chicken Tortellini Soup Recipe is cooked low and slow for 6 hours! Tender vegetables, cheesy tortellini, and Italian seasonings make this soup so flavorful. Super comforting and perfect for cold weather, this set it and forget it slow cooker recipe is perfect for busy families!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup
When I need a meal that’s quick to prepare, healthy, and comforting at the same time, this Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup is my go-to. It is the perfect meal to warm you up on a cold day! It’s is loaded with nutritious veggies, protein-packed shredded chicken, addictively moreish cheese tortellini pasta, and loads of Italian flavor. This soup simmers low and slow for 6 hours in the slow cooker. This means little effort but all of the flavor! I love to serve this soup with some crusty bread and a nice salad on the side to make it a full meal.
This Chicken Tortellini Soup recipe is great for meal prep as well. It’s freezer and fridge friendly, so be sure to make a large batch by doubling my recipe and saving half for later. Having a good freezer stash built up makes busy weekdays so much easier in my house!
Don’t have time for the slow cooker method? No problem! This soup can easily be made on the stovetop or an instant pot instead. Just follow my instructions below!
If you like this recipe then make sure to try out my other Slow Cooker Chicken Breast Recipes!
Ingredients for this Chicken Tortellini Soup recipe
- Chicken Breasts: I chose chicken breasts for this recipe because I always have them on hand. however, chicken thighs also work great in this soup! I would use skinless chicken thighs because the skin would turn soggy, but leave the bone in for extra flavor!
- Vegetables: Carrot, celery, onion, and garlic – lots of nutrition and flavor is packed in these simple vegetables.
- Cheese Tortellini: Tortellini is a stuffed pasta, kind of like ravioli. There are lots of different flavors like three cheese, spinach and cheese, and cheese and mushroom. Any will work in this recipe. I add the tortellini in at the end so it doesn’t get mushy. You can also use either fresh or frozen, just allow for a little extra cooking time if you’re using frozen.
- Chicken Broth: I prefer to use low sodium chicken broth. If using regular substitute some of the broth for water.
- Seasoning: Italian seasoning and bay leaves add a beautiful herbiness to this chicken tortellini soup recipe, and then add some salt and pepper to taste.
In a hurry? Then give my Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup a try!
How to make Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker: Except for the tortellini. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Shred chicken: Remove the cooked chicken from the slow cooker and shred or cube and add it back to the slow cooker.
- Add in the tortellini: And cook for 15 minutes or until they are cooked all the way through. I like to add the tortellini in about 15 minutes before serving so they don’t get mushy. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Discard bay leaves and serve immediately with chopped parsley, if desired. Keep warm until ready to serve!
storage & Reheating
- Fridge: Store this chicken tortellini soup recipe in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat it on the stove or in the microwave. You may need to add a little water as the tortellini pasta tends to soak up the broth.
frequently asked questions
Can you freeze this Chicken Tortellini Soup recipe?
This soup does freeze well. If you are planning to freeze the soup I would suggest cooking the tortellini separately and freezing the broth in an airtight container. When you are ready to serve reheat the soup on the stovetop and serve with cooked tortellini, noodles, or rice!
Can this be made in the instant pot?
Yes! Instant Pot Tortellini Soup is perfect if you are short on time as this soup is ready in under 30 minutes in the Instant Pot. Start by selecting the sauté option. Add your veggies and a bit of oil to the Instant Pot and sauté until golden brown. Add in the rest of the ingredients and set the Instant Pot to manual. Cover and cook for 8 minutes. Release the steam and remove the chicken and shred. While you are shredding the chicken add the tortellini to the pot. Select the sauté option and cook the tortellini until tender and warmed through, about 5 minutes or so. Add the shredded chicken back to the pot and serve!
Can this be made on the stovetop?
Yes! Simply sauté vegetables and oil in a large pot. Cook until golden brown and tender. Add in raw chicken and the rest of the ingredients (except for the tortellini). Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and shreds easily. Remove the chicken from the pot and shred with two forks. Add the tortellini to the soup and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through and tender. Add the chicken back to the pot and serve!
- I like to use refrigerated cheese tortellini however frozen tortellini can be used just make sure to add a couple of extra minutes to the cooking time.
- The tortellini tends to soak up some of the liquid when it’s refrigerated. When you reheat the soup make sure to add some more chicken broth.
- For a twist on this soup try it with egg noodles or rice! You can also omit the chicken and swap the broth for veggie broth to keep it vegetarian.
- To make this soup even healthier I like to add even more vegetables! Peas, corn, zucchini, and spinach are some of my favorites to add to this soup!
- To save on time I like to shred my chicken in the stand mixer with the paddle attachment. It shreds easily and takes less than a minute!
What can I serve with this Chicken Tortellini Soup Recipe?
Here are more soup recipes to enjoy!
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- Italian Meatball Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, or more to taste
- 2 cups cheese tortellini
- chopped fresh parsley for serving, if desired
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker except for the tortellini. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the slow cooker and shred or cube and add back to the slow cooker.
- Add in the tortellini and cook for 15 minutes or until they are cooked all the way through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Discard bay leaves and serve immediately with chopped parsley, if desired