This Creamy Tortellini Alfredo is a family favorite! My kids always request seconds! Made with a quick homemade Alfredo Sauce and cheese tortellinis dinner is on the table in under 20 minutes! Serve with your favorite protein and steamed veggies to round out the meal.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
The BEST Tortellini Alfredo
If you have never made a homemade alfredo sauce, you are truly missing out. It is super easy to make at home and you know exactly what goes into it, so no guessing on mystery ingredients. There’s also no flour needed to thicken up the sauce. All you need is heavy cream, butter, parmesan and cream cheese! That’s it!
This tortellini Alfredo is always a big hit with our kids. Best of all it comes together in under 20 minutes. While the tortellinis are cooking I make up the sauce then toss everything together.
My tortellini alfredo recipe uses pantry staples that you likely already have on hand! Skip the store bought stuff and make my easy Tortellini Alfredo recipe in less than 20 minutes! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Tortellinis: You can use either fresh or frozen tortellinis. I like the cheese stuffed tortellinis but feel free to use meat or even pesto tortellinis! Before adding them to the sauce, just cook them according to the package instructions! My favorite thing about tortellinis is that they cook so fast!
- Butter: Helps to make this Alfredo Sauce so creamy and buttery! You can use salted or unsalted butter in this recipe just make sure to adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
- Garlic: Freshly minced garlic works best here for the most flavor! I love lots of garlic so I added four whole garlic cloves! Feel free to add more or less.
- Heavy Cream & Cream Cheese: A combination of heavy cream and cream cheese will make the creamy alfredo sauce. The cream cheese helps to keep the sauce nice and thick!
- Seasonings: Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt & pepper are used to season this to perfection!
- Parmesan Cheese: I love to use freshly grated parmesan cheese since it will melt seamlessly into the sauce. If you have pre-grated parmesan cheese, you can use it but it might not melt fully! It may also cause the sauce to become a little stringy due to the clumping agents added to pre shredded cheese.
How to Make Tortellini Alfredo
- Cook the Tortellinis: First, cook the tortellinis according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt Butter & Sauté Garlic: Next, heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the Rest of the Ingredients: Add in the heavy cream, cream cheese, Italian seasoning, onion powder, and garlic powder. Bring the mixture to a simmer and whisk to remove any clumps.
- Once thickened, remove from the heat and stir in the parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste, add in the cooked tortellinis and serve immediately!
Tips for Success
- Need some vegetables? This pasta sauce is super versatile and goes well with literally anything. You can throw in a handful of spinach, tomatoes, or broccoli to add some veggies to your meal!
- Prefer regular pasta? You can substitute the tortellinis for a pound of your favorite kind of dry pasta. Typically, Alfredo is served with a fettuccine noodle.
- Don’t skip the cream cheese! The cream cheese in this recipe is what gives it that thick, creamy texture. Don’t skip it or the sauce might turn out runny. You can use reduced-fat cream cheese here, if preferred.
- Serve this easy tortellini Alfredo with a side of garlic bread and piece of grilled chicken!
Frequently Asked Questions
How to store leftover tortellini alfredo?
Store any leftover tortellini Alfredo in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through. You can also freeze this pasta for up to 3 months!
More Easy Dinner Recipes to Try
- Salmon Piccata
- Crockpot Chicken Alfredo
- Zucchini Spaghetti
- Chicken Shrimp Alfredo
- Baked Chicken Nuggets
- Vegetarian Lasagna
- Buffalo Chicken Macaroni & Cheese
- Cook tortellinis according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in heavy cream, cream cheese, Italian seasoning, onion powder and garlic powder. Bring the mixture to a simmer and whisk to remove clumps.Once thickened remove from heat and stir in the parmesan cheese.Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.