Stuffed Pepper Soup loaded with spicy sausage, bell peppers and rice! Everything you love about a stuffed pepper but in soup form!
This soup is super easy to throw together. You can even brown the sausage ahead of time and throw it all together the day of. This soup also freezes really well!
You can substitute ground beef or chicken for the sausage. I love the flavor and kick the spicy sausage adds to this soup. I also use fire roasted tomatoes for an extra kick.
To make this Stuffed Pepper Soup simply brown the sausage, the onion and peppers. Stir in beef broth, fire roasted tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and rice!
Serve this soup with a crispy baguette and shredded cheese to top each bowl! I also like to add a scoop of sour cream ontop!
Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound sausage (I used a spicy sausage but you can use mild if you do not like the heat)
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup white rice, cooked
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish, if desired
- shredded cheese for serving, if desired
- In a large pot or cast iron pot heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add in sausage and brown.
- Drain sausage and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the same pot.
- Add in the onion and bell pepper and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Pour in beef broth, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Add the sausage back to soup.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
- Stir in rice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with parsley and a sprinkle of cheese on top of each bowl.