Stuffed Pepper Soup loaded with spicy sausage, bell peppers and rice! This soup is loaded with so much flavor and is a reader favorite! Everything you love about a stuffed pepper but in soup form!
Love soup as much as I do? Then give my Tomato Soup with croutons a try!
This stuffed green pepper soup is super easy to throw together all you need if a couple minutes of prep. This soup also freezes really well! It’s super hearty and filling and loaded with so much flavor.
This stuffed bell pepper soup tastes just like a stuffed pepper but in soup form! It’s also so much easier (and quicker) than making stuffed peppers.
Ingredients for Stuffed Pepper Soup
The full ingredient list and measurements are listed in the printable recipe below.
- Spicy sausage: I love the flavor and spice the spicy sausage adds to this soup however ground beef, ground turkey or chicken could be used instead. You can also use mild sausage in place of the spicy. I’ve also had readers do chicken and sausage for a super hearty meal!
- Bell peppers: Add a bit of sweetness to the soup and are essential for making stuffed pepper soup. I prefer to use either red, orange or yellow bell peppers because they are a little sweeter and in my opinion more flavorful then green.
- Onions & garlic: Are essential for any soup.
- Beef broth: Thins out the soup a bit and adds flavor.
- Tomatoes: I use both fire roasted tomatoes and crushed tomatoes. I love using fire roasted tomatoes. They have an extra smokiness and flavor and are the perfect addition to this easy stuffed pepper soup. Don’t have fire roasted tomatoes? Make your own with this recipe.
- Cooked white rice: You can also substitute brown rice or cauliflower rice for a low carb option.
- Shredded cheddar cheese: For topping the soup! You can’t have a stuffed pepper soup without shredded cheese!
How to make Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Brown sausage: In a large pot or cast iron pot heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add in sausage and brown. When fully cooked remove from the pan drain the extra grease from the sausage and set aside.
- Saute veggies: Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the same pot. Add in the onion and bell pepper and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add in garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Simmer: Pour in beef broth, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Add the sausage back to soup. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
- Stir in rice: To warm through and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve: Warm with a crispy baguette and shredded cheese to top each bowl! I also like to add a scoop of sour cream on top and a sprinkle of fresh parsley!
Storage, Freezing and Reheating Instructions
- Store: Leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- Freeze: Soup in an airtight container for up to 3 months. I recommend freezing the soup without the rice or freezing the rice separately.
- Reheat: Allow the soup to thaw overnight in the fridge if frozen then warm it up on the stove top or microwave until hot.
Instant Pot Instructions
To make this an instant pot stuffed pepper soup simply brown the sausage as directed in the Instant Pot on the SAUTE option. Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute then add in the rest of the soup ingredients. Instead of adding cooked rice you can go ahead and add 1/2 cup uncooked white rice to the instant pot. Cook on HIGH pressure for 10 minutes then allow the steam to naturally release. Serve and enjoy!
Slow Cooker Instructions
To make this a slow cooker stuffed pepper soup simply brown the sausage then add it to the crockpot along with the rest of the ingredients (except the rice). Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Cook the rice separately and add just before serving to warm through.
- This soup gets pretty thick once the rice is added if you would like the soup to be a bit thinner add more beef broth to the soup or use less rice.
- Don’t be tempted to add the uncooked rice directly to the soup. The rice will soak up all of the liquid. You could add an additional 2 cups beef broth and cook the rice directly in the soup instead.
What to serve with this Stuffed Pepper Soup
Here are more soup recipes to enjoy!
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- Italian Meatball Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a review! This helps other readers and my website! I love to hear your feedback!
Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 pound sausage I used a spicy sausage but you can use mild if you do not like the heat
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 14.5 ounce can beef broth
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup white rice cooked
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish if desired
- shredded cheese for serving if desired
- In a large pot or cast iron pot heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add in sausage and brown. Drain sausage and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the same pot. Add in the onion and bell pepper and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add in garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Pour in beef broth, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Add the sausage back to soup. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
- Stir in rice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with parsley and a sprinkle of cheese on top of each bowl.