These are the BEST Crispy Brussels Sprouts! Roasted until crispy and browned on the outside but still tender in the middle. Then tossed with lemon juice, capers and seasonings. Ready in less than 30 minutes, this simple side dish is perfect for every occasion! Even picky eaters will love these sprouts!
Brussels sprouts are one of my favorite vegetables! If you love crispy brussels sprouts, my Roasted Brussels Sprouts will be a hit, and check out my Slow Cooker Balsamic Brussels Sprouts for the easiest side dish recipe!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
The Crispiest Brussels Sprouts
I am a HUGE fan of brussels sprouts! Not only are these mini cabbages kind of adorable, but they also taste amazing when cooked right. No more boiling brussels sprouts for hours on end, that is not how you get their best flavors to shine!
In my opinion, Crispy Roasted Brussels Sprouts is where it is at. The middle is fork-tender soft (but not mushy), and the outside leaves are crisped to perfection. They are addictive!
For this crispy brussels sprouts recipe, I added lemon juice and capers at the end. The tart kick compliments the brussels sprouts extremely well, I could eat the whole bowl! It’s important to wait until the end to add the lemons and capers so that the brussels sprouts can become as crispy as possible when roasting in the oven!
This easy side dish recipe is perfect for all occasions! I enjoy them on Sundays with a roast, or at Easter, Christmas or Thanksgiving. Everybody loves this crispy brussels sprouts recipe, and it fits pretty much all diets as well, including vegan, keto, and whole30!
Ingredients for Crispy Brussels Sprouts
- Brussels sprouts: Brussels sprouts are technically mini cabbages. They are delicious when roasted because the outer layer gets nice and crispy. They are addictive!
- Oil: I add plenty of olive oil to this recipe. Olive oil is one of the most healthy ingredients out there, and it’s widely available. I recommend extra virgin olive oil, however, if you’re not a fan of the taste regular olive oil is great too!
- Seasoning: I added simple seasonings: salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Sometimes keeping things simple is the best, and I truly believe that for this recipe! Even without the lemon juice and capers, these crispy brussels sprouts taste delicious!
- Lemon: For a little tart kick, I add the juice from half of a lemon.
- Capers: Finally, I threw in a couple of tablespoons of capers. They add even more crunch and tartness and they go so well with brussels sprouts!
How to make Crispy Brussels Sprouts with Capers
Begin by preheating the oven and prepping the brussels sprouts. You’ll want to cut off the bottom of the brussels sprouts, taking care not to cut too much off, slice them in half, and remove the outer layer.
Next, we’ll add seasoning and olive oil. The seasoning I used was quite simple: salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. The brussels sprouts then get coated in olive oil to help the seasonings to stick, and the leaves to crisp up when they are baking.
It’s time to bake! I bake the brussels sprouts for just 15 minutes, stirring halfway through. They should be fork-tender but a little crispy on the outside when they’re finished.
Now all that’s left to do is add a little more olive oil along with lemon juice and capers. The tart kick is absolutely delicious! Adjust the salt and pepper if needed and serve.
Storage & Reheating Instructions
- Store any leftover crispy brussels sprouts in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Reheat them in the oven to crisp them back up! You can also reheat the brussels sprouts in a microwave but they won’t be as crispy.
Tips for Success
- Spread the brussels sprouts out in a single layer on the baking sheet. This helps them to crisp up even more because more heat is able to get to more of the vegetable. When the brussels sprouts are on top of each other and crammed on a smaller baking sheet they tend to steam instead of roast.
- Don’t trim the brussels sprouts too much! Just a little off of the end. Any more than that, and the brussels sprouts will completely unravel.
- Change up the seasonings! Try adding a little rosemary, smoked paprika, or chili powder for some heat.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can you reheat roasted brussels sprouts? Yes! If you’d like to keep them crispy, reheat the brussels sprouts in the oven until they are heated through. Otherwise, you can reheat them in the microwave for a few minutes, however, they may lose their crispiness.
- How do you keep brussels sprouts from getting soggy? Begin by making sure they are spread out in one single layer on the baking tray. Next, make sure you add plenty of oil to crisp them up when they are baking in the oven. Finally, don’t add any extra moisture until they are finished roasting. For example, I waited until the end to add lemon juice and capers which both contain moisture.
- Should brussels sprouts be par-boiled before roasting? No! Roast them while they are dry and uncooked. This helps the outside leaves to become as crispy as possible. Par-boiling them will result in mushy Brussels sprouts.
What To Serve With Brussels Sprouts
- Swedish Meatballs
- Orange Teriyaki Salmon
- Turkey Pesto Meatballs
- Asian Turkey Meatballs
- Meatball Stroganoff
- Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- Tuscan Salmon
More Side Dish Recipes To Try
- Spicy Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Garlic Roasted Asparagus
- Roasted Broccoli
- Garlic Green Beans
- Instant Pot Deviled Eggs
Crispy Brussels Sprouts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut and prep brussels sprouts and place them on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil, salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder to the brussels sprouts. Toss to coat.
- Bake for 15 minutes stirring halfway through or until the brussels sprouts are fork tender and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil, lemon juice and capers. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste then serve immediately and enjoy!