This easy Roasted Asparagus recipe is tossed with homemade garlic parmesan breadcrumbs, making every bite savory, crunchy, and delicious! It’s a perfect side dish for any occasion — dinners during a busy week, get-togethers with family and friends, or your holiday table.
Easy Roasted Asparagus with Garlic Breadcrumbs
This Roasted Asparagus recipe is a quick and easy side dish that compliments any meal. Roasting vegetables in the oven is one of my favorite way to cook them because it’s so easy and provides a ton of flavor with minimal effort. I use this roasting method for most of my vegetables, including broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts. They come out perfectly tender and crisp!
While I love roasted vegetables on their own with just a little bit of salt and pepper, I knew that I wanted to add some crunch to this recipe, so I topped the asparagus with some toasted breadcrumbs. But instead of using the Panko breadcrumbs straight out of the container, I decided to toast the breadcrumbs in a bit of oil with some minced garlic and mixed in some parsley and parmesan cheese. The end result are nutty, caramel-colored, crunchy bread crumbs. And what a difference toasted bread crumbs can make! You get the crunch of the breadcrumbs in every bite.
Don’t Fry Your Vegetables!
The asparagus in this recipe is not fried or battered. They’re simply tossed in the garlic breadcrumbs after they come out of the oven. Simple as that.
I often find that the breading can sometimes overwhelm vegetables when they’re dredged with coating and deep fried or baked. Roasted asparagus has such a nice caramelized, smokey flavor that covering it up would just be wrong!
That’s why I love topping it with this light, crunchy garlic breadcrumb mixture. It adds the needed crunch without weighing down the asparagus or taking away from it’s base flavor.
You only need a handful of ingredients to make the roasted asparagus and the garlic parmesan breadcrumbs, most of which you likely have on-hand.
For the roasted asparagus, you’ll need: one pound of fresh asparagus, extra virgin olive oil, fresh garlic (minced or sliced), lemon juice, salt, and black pepper.
For the toasted garlic breadcrumbs, you’ll need: extra virgin olive oil, breadcrumbs (Panko or Italian-style), parmesan cheese, minced garlic, fresh parsley (chopped), and parmesan cheese.
How To Make Roasted Asparagus with Garlic Breadcrumbs
Roasting asparagus is easy! Simply toss the asparagus with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. Roast in a 375 degree oven for about 12-15 minutes. Take out of the oven and drizzle with lemon juice. Done!
Now for the breadcrumbs. First, heat a medium skillet with olive oil. Add breadcrumbs and cook until lightly golden brown (3-4 minutes). Then, add garlic and cook for an additional minute. (Make sure to stir the breadcrumbs constantly and do not walk away, or else they’ll burn.) Take off the heat and season with parsley. Sprinkle on top of the asparagus, toss to coat, and serve!
When I make the breadcrumb mixture I typically double or triple the recipe to have extra on hand. I use the breadcrumb mixture for topping casseroles or macaroni and cheese for a nice crunchy topping.
Tips and Variations
- Looking for more crunch? Add some toasted sliced almonds or roasted pistachios to the asparagus before serving.
- Serve with lemon wedges to add more bright, citrusy flavor.
- Toss your asparagus halfway through cooking to make sure they don’t stick and that they’re evenly roasted.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
- Store leftover roasted asparagus in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Store the breadcrumbs in a small airtight container or plastic bag at room temperature for up to a week or in the freezer for 3 months.
- Reheat leftover asparagus topped with breadcrumbs in the microwave for 2-4 minutes, until warmed through. Be careful not to overcook, otherwise they will get mushy.
- Add some cooked, chopped bacon or pancetta for more savory, smokey flavor.
More Side Dish Recipes To Try
- Green Bean Casserole
- Creamy Confetti Corn
- Spicy Roasted Garlic Brussels Sprouts
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Honey Roasted Carrots
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a review! This helps other readers and my website! I love to hear your feedback!
Roasted Asparagus With Garlic Breadcrumbs
This easy Roasted Asparagus recipe is tossed with homemade garlic parmesan breadcrumbs, making every bite savory, crunchy, and delicious! It's a perfect side dish for any occasion.
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic sliced
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper
Toasted Garlic Breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, can use either panko or Italian
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tbsp parsley chopped
- parmesan cheese for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Snap off the ends of asparagus.
- Place asparagus in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, garlic and season with salt and pepper. Toss with your hands to make sure the asparagus is coated.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or up to 15 minutes for thicker stalks.
- Take asparagus out of the oven and toss with the lemon juice.
Toasted Garlic Breadcrumbs
- To make the breadcrumbs start by heating a medium skillet on medium heat with olive oil.
- Add breadcrumbs and cook until lightly golden brown. Make sure to stir constantly and do not walk away. Takes about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Take off the heat and add in parsley and parmesan cheese. Sprinkle on top of the asparagus and serve!