Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Shells. Jumbo pasta shells stuffed with three types of cheeses and topped with pasta sauce!
Stuffed shells are one of my favorite meals to make. Tender pasta shells stuffed with cheese and baked with pasta sauce until warm and gooey. To me they are comfort food at it’s finest.
The jumbo shells are stuffed with ricotta, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, spinach, onions and garlic. They are full of flavor!
While the shells are boiling I make the filling. I sauté onion, garlic and spinach then add them to a large bowl with the cheeses, ricotta and eggs. Once the shells are cooked I stuff each shell with the filling then top with the remaining tomato sauce.
I serve the Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Shells with fresh basil and extra parmesan cheese.
Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Shells
- 12-14 jumbo pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups marinara sauce
- basil for serving, if desired
- extra parmesan cheese for serving, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook pasta until al dente according to package directions.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and cook until tender about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the spinach mixture to a large bowl and add in ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, egg, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Spread about ½ of the sauce in the bottom of a 8 x8 or 9 x 9 baking dish.
- Stuff shells with the spinach cheese mixture and place in the baking dish.
- Top with the remaining sauce and bake for 20-30 minutes or until warmed through.
- Serve immediately with basil and parmesan cheese, if desired.