Pasta with Garlic and Oil is one of the most simple yet satisfying pasta recipes you can make! Spaghetti is tossed with olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, parmesan cheese, and crushed red pepper flakes. This garlic pasta is ready in just 15 minutes!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
pasta with garlic and oil
Who knew pasta could be so simple and full of flavor? This garlic and oil pasta (also known as spaghetti aglio e olio which means garlic and oil in Italian) is so easy to make. This pasta in oil and garlic can be made with ingredients you probably already have them in your pantry! All you need is 7 ingredients to make this recipe!
The focus of this dish is the pasta. Everything else including the lemon, garlic, and oil are used to accentuate the flavor of the pasta – the star of the show!
I like to make this pasta with garlic and oil when I am in a pinch and need something to make fast! This recipe takes less than 20 minutes to make start to finish. It can be done all in one pot. Less cleanup = happier cook.
The full ingredient list and measurements are listed in the printable recipe below.
- Pasta: I use whatever pasta I have on hand. Either whole wheat thin spaghetti or regular spaghetti will work.
- Olive oil: Good quality extra-virgin olive oil is essential to the flavor of this dish!
- Garlic: 2 cloves, minced, for an absolutely mouthwatering taste!
- Lemon juice: Adds just the right amount of acidity to balance out the oil.
- Parmesan: This cheese adds a tangy, nuttiness and saltiness to the pasta.
- Spinach: I threw in the spinach as an added bonus. Throwing leftover spinach in pasta is a great way to sneak in extra nutrients.
How to make garlic and oil pasta
- Firstly, boil the pasta per package instructions. (My pasta took about 8 minutes for al dente.) Drain pasta and set aside.
- Secondly, in the pot the pasta was cooked in, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. When the oil is hot, add in the garlic and sauté for one minute.
- Then, add in red pepper flakes and spinach and cook for an additional minute. Return the pasta back to the pan and stir in the rest of the oil and lemon juice.
- Finally, take the pot off of the heat and sprinkle in the parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Tips for making the best garlic pasta
- Make sure to use a good quality extra virgin olive oil in this recipe. It’s so important for the flavor!
- It is important to cook your pasta to al dente. Overcooked pasta is not good especially in this recipe where the pasta is the star of the show. Using thinner pasta, it will cook quicker!
- Always make sure to salt your water. This flavors the whole dish.
- Rinse your noodles in cold water after they are done cooking to make sure they don’t stick together.
What kind of pasta should I use for garlic AND OIL pasta?
In this pasta recipe, I prefer to use spaghetti as it cooks quickly, however, any pasta will work! The most important thing is to cook it al dente, and to not overcook it! Here are some other pasta suggestions:
- Angel hair
- Thin spaghetti
Can I make a gluten-free version?
Of course! Just use gluten-free spaghetti and follow the directions on the package, as you would with regular pasta.
Can I add in any extra veggies?
Yes! Pasta with broccoli, garlic, and oil is a favorite in this house! Here are some other veggies to toss in:
- Bell Peppers
- Tomatoes (I like cherry)
- Mushrooms (I recommend sautéeing with the garlic)
- Olives – kalamata, black or green
what to serve with pasta with garlic and oil
Here are some more Italian dishes to try:
- Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo
- Crock Pot Chicken Alfredo
- Penne Alla Vodka with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Slow Cooker Italian Meatballs
- Italian Gnocchi Soup with Kale and Sausage
- Chicken Parmesan
Pasta with garlic and oil
- Boil pasta per package instructions. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil into the pot the pasta was cooked in. Add in garlic and saute for one minute.
- Add in red pepper flakes and spinach and cook for an additional minute. Add pasta back to the pan and stir in the rest of the oil and lemon juice.
- Take off of the heat and sprinkle in the parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.