Rich and Creamy Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo. Made with chicken stock, 1% milk and parmesan cheese. No heavy cream or butter is used in this recipe! Only 500 calories a serving and tastes just as good as the original! Best of all this recipe ready in less than 20 minutes!
Fettuccine Alfredo is one of my favorite comfort foods. How can you not love a thick creamy cheese sauce tossed with tender thick fettuccine noodles? I came up with a way to eat my favorite comfort food and not feel guilty about it. This Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo tastes just as good as the original and is so much healthier.
This Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo recipe comes together in under 20 minutes making it a quick and easy weeknight meal. I make the Alfredo sauce while the pasta is boiling and toss everything together once it’s done.
You would never know this Fettuccine Alfredo Pasta is low-calorie. It is bursting with flavor and is rich and creamy just like the original. This healthy fettuccine Alfredo can easily serve 4 alongside a side salad or two hungry people.
Skip the restaurant style Fettuccine Alfredo and give this low-cal version a try!
What makes this skinny?
I swapped out tons of calories using 1% milk and low sodium chicken broth instead of heavy cream. Olive oil was used in place of butter and tons of garlic is added. For extra flavor and a hint of color garnish with fresh parley and an extra squeeze of lemon juice. Only 1 tablespoon of flour is used and only 1/4 cup of cheese. This easy fettucini alfredo does not sacrifice any of the flavor, creaminess or richness. You would never know this is “healthy”!
- Extra virgin olive oil: Is used in place of the butter.
- All purpose flour: Helps to thicken up the skinny Alfredo sauce.
- Garlic: Is always a must when I am making anything Italian!
- Milk: 1% or 2% milk is added in place of the heavy cream.
- Chicken stock: I add in chicken stock in place of some of the milk to make this dish even more low calorie.
- Parmesan cheese: You can’t have Alfredo sauce without a little bit of cheese. A little bit goes a long way in this dish!
How to make Fettuccine Alfredo
- Boil pasta: In salted water until al-dente per package instructions.
- Make the fettuccine Alfredo sauce: Meanwhile, add olive oil and garlic to a large saute pan. Cook for 1 minute. Whisk in flour and cook an additional minute stirring constantly. Slowly pour in the chicken broth and milk and bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened 3-5 minutes, stir frequently.
- Toss together / Serve: Take off the heat and stir in Parmesan cheese. Toss the sauce with cooked pasta and drizzle with lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately with parsley for garnish if desired.
Tips for making Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo
- Always salt your water! This helps season the whole dish and makes a huge difference!
- To make this dish gluten free substitute gluten free flour for the all purpose flour and use gluten free fettuccine noodles.
- If you want a protein boost try adding in chicken or shrimp!
- To get some veggies in this dish add in some broccoli or bell peppers.
- I like to use freshly grated parmesan cheese in this dish versus pre grated parmesan cheese. The flavor of freshly grated parmesan cheese is so much better and really makes a difference in this dish.
What to serve with Fettuccine Alfredo
- Roasted Broccoli
- Honey Garlic Carrots
- Roasted Garlic Brussels Sprouts
- Homemade Foccaccia Bread
- Roasted Asparagus
- Grilled Chicken Cobb Salad
- Chopped Kale and Avocado Salad
Here are more Easy Pasta Recipes to try!
- Easy Instant Pot Spaghetti
- BLT Pasta Salad
- Spaghetti Pea Carbonara
- 15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta
- Pasta with Garlic and Oil
- Zucchini “Pasta” with Tomato Sauce
Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo
- 6 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup 1% milk
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- chopped parsley for garnish if desired
- Boil pasta in salted water until al-dente per package instructions.
- Meanwhile, add olive oil and garlic to a large saute pan. Cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in flour and cook an additional minute stirring constantly.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth and milk and bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened 3-5 minutes, stir frequently.
- Take off the heat and stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Toss the sauce with cooked pasta and drizzle with lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately with parsley for garnish if desired.