Crispy, comforting Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan is made easy in the air fryer! No Oil or Butter Needed! Skip traditional frying and use the air fryer for a healthier, easier Italian-inspired meal. This is a classic meal that everyone in the family will love!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
I absolutely love chicken parmesan. Sometimes the effort that goes into frying chicken is a bit much and all of the extra calories from butter and oil really add up. If your looking for a healthier alternative to chicken parmesan that is JUST as crispy then you need to try this Air Fryer Chicken Parm!
The trick to CRISPY chicken parmesan is adding the cheese FIRST then topping it with the tomato sauce. Adding the tomato sauce first causes the chicken breast to get soggy and the cheese just slides off when melted. Follow my recipe below for the perfect crispy, tender chicken parm!
Chicken Parmesan Ingredients
- Chicken Breast: I like using boneless, skinless chicken breast for chicken parmesan. Generally chicken breast is the best option as opposed to chicken thighs. They are easier to cut in half to get a super thin chicken cutlet.
- Flour: First you’ll dredge the chicken in flour which gives the egg something to stick to.
- Egg: Then, dip in egg and then the breading!
- Breading: Panko Breadcrumbs, Parmesan Cheese, Italian Seasoning, Garlic Powder and Onion Powder are combined to make a savory, crunchy breading! The parmesan cheese makes the breading! We use almost as much parmesan cheese as we do breadcrumbs.
- Tomato Sauce: You can use your favorite brand of tomato sauce or try my slow cooker tomato sauce recipe! I like to keep it warmed up on the stove for topping the chicken once it’s done cooking. I also like to serve extra on the side for dipping!
- Mozzarella Cheese: I like fresh low moisture mozzarella cheese here as opposed to shredded mozzarella cheese. It melts perfecting in the air fryer!
- Fresh Basil: For serving, if desired.
How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
Air fryer chicken parmesan is so easy to make with just the air fryer! Here are the simple steps:
- Prep the Chicken: Cut each chicken breast in half so you have four thin chicken breasts. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Prep the Breading: Add flour to a shallow bowl. Add egg to a shallow bowl and whisk. In a third bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder. Set aside.
- Dip the Chicken: Starting with the flour and ending with the breadcrumbs, dip the chicken into the flour, egg and then the parmesan breadcrumbs.
- Preheat & Cook: Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Grease the metal rack insert with nonstick cooking spray. Add in the chicken breasts in two batches if necessary and cook for 5 minutes. Flip and spray the chicken breasts with nonstick cooking spray. Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes. Top with mozzarella cheese slices and cook for 2-3 more minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the chicken reaches and internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Top & Serve: Top with warmed tomato sauce and serve with fresh basil or parsley for garnish! Enjoy!
Tips for Success
- Don’t have fresh mozzarella? Sliced cheese like provolone would also be great on this chicken parm!
- Don’t use too much sauce! Too much tomato sauce can cause the chicken to be soggy instead of crispy. Serve extra sauce on the side for dipping instead of dousing it in too much sauce!
- Serve this air fryer chicken parmesan with your favorite pasta or some zucchini noodles! Along with some garlic bread, you can have the perfect meal.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I make chicken parmesan without an air fryer?
If you don’t have an air fryer, you still have some great options for making delicious chicken parmesan. Check out this Chicken Parmesan recipe for tips of pan-frying or baking!
How should I store leftover chicken parmesan?
You can store any leftover chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can freeze the cooked chicken without the cheese or tomato sauce for later by putting them in a freezer safe bag or container for up to 3 months. Reheat from chilled or frozen in the air fryer until heated through to ensure they stay crispy.
More Easy Chicken Recipes to Try
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder,
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce, warmed
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, sliced
- basil for serving, if desired
- Cut each chicken breast in half so you have four thin chicken breasts.Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Add flour to a shallow bowl. Add egg to a shallow bowl and whisk. In a third bowl combine breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder. Set aside.
- Starting with the flour and ending with the breadcrumbs dip the chicken into the flour, egg and then parmesan breadcrumbs.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees. Grease the metal rack insert with nonstick cooking spray.Add in the chicken breasts in two batches if necessary and cook for 5 minutes.Flip and spray the chicken breasts with nonstick cooking spray. Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes.Top with mozzarella slices and cook for 2-3 more minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the chicken reaches 165 internal temperature.
- Top with warmed tomato sauce and serve with fresh basil or parsley for garnish!