This easy Korean Grilled Chicken recipe features chicken thighs that are marinated in a sweet and tangy Korean-inspired marinade, and then grilled until they’re crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Healthy and delicious!
Korean Grilled Chicken
I love this Korean Grilled Chicken recipe because it’s super simple to make. Just add all of the sauce ingredients to a resealable Ziplock bag, add in the chicken and toss to coat. Marinade the chicken for at least two hours or overnight for maximum flavor.
The marinade for this grilled chicken recipe is made of fresh ginger, garlic, low-sodium soy sauce, mirin, brown sugar, sesame oil, and lots of green onions. I also like to add in a bit of Sriracha for a little kick. You can make it as spicy as you like. I like to double the amount in this recipe because I like it extra spicy!
- Chicken Thighs: I love using bone in and skin on chicken thighs in this recipe. The skin gets crispy on the outside and the bone helps it to stay juicy on the inside. This recipe can be made with boneless chicken thighs or breasts. Just shorten the cooking time, and be careful to not overcook or risk drying out the chicken.
- Ginger: I prefer to use fresh grated ginger however ground ginger can be substituted in a pinch.
- Garlic: I always have to have garlic!
- Low-Sodium Soy Sauce: If you do not have low sodium soy sauce you can substitute regular soy sauce with water so it’s not too salty. You can also substitute coconut aminios for a gluten free version!
- Light Brown Sugar: Adds a nice sweetness to the sauce. Honey can also be substituted.
- Mirin: Gives the sauce a nice acidity and adds a touch of sweetness to balance out the saltiness.
- Sesame Oil: A little goes a long way! Sesame oil gives the marinade a nice nutty toasted flavor.
- Sriracha: This is dded for a little kick. If you don’t want the spice, just omit.
How To Make Korean Grilled Chicken
- Marinate the Chicken: Add all of the marinade ingredients, along with the chicken, is added to a large plastic bag or a shallow dish. Toss to coat the chicken. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the Grill: When you are ready to eat preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Cook the Chicken: When the grill is hot and ready, cook the marinaded chicken thighs for 5 minutes on one side, then flip and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until fully cooked.
- Serve: Once cooked, serve the grilled chicken immediately with green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
What To Serve with Korean Grilled Chicken
- White or brown rice (or for a low carb option, try cauliflower rice!)
- Steamed or roasted vegetables
- Chow mein noodles
- Lo mein
- Chopped Kale Salad
- Cucumber Avocado Salad
Storage, Freezing, and Reheating
This easy grilled chicken recipe is perfect for meal prepping ahead of a busy week! Store leftover Korean Grilled Chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
You can also freeze this grilled chicken for up to 4 months. To reheat, simply warm in the microwave until heated through.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes To Try
- Easy Chicken Marsala
- The BEST Chicken Parmesan
- Easy Chicken Shawarma
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Easy One Pan Bourbon Chicken
- Easy Thai Chicken Satay
Korean BBQ Grilled Chicken
- 4 chicken thighs bone-in and skin on
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon or more to taste sriracha
- 2 whole green onions white and green parts
- *Note: Prep time does not include marinating time*
- Add all of the ingredients including the chicken to a large Ziploc bag or a shallow dish. Toss to coat the chicken.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When you are ready to eat preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Cook for 5 minutes, flip and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Serve immediately with green onions and sesame seeds if desired.