Gluten Free Zucchini “Pasta” mixed with a quick and easy tomato sauce! A healthy meal that can be made in under 30 minutes.
Have you heard of zucchini “pasta” yet? There’s a reason it’s all the rage.
I discovered the zucchini “pasta” trend while perusing Pinterest. I love zucchini and I love pasta how could this be bad?
If you haven’t made zucchini noodles you are missing out. They are full of flavor, tender and not to mention are gluten free and vegetarian!
Instead of regular pasta. zucchini is cut into the shape of noodles with the help of a Vegetable Slicer. They are a great way to sneak in some vegetables into your diet. The noodles are then tossed with a simple homemade tomato sauce.
You can enjoy these zucchini noodles raw or cooked.
To make the zucchini pasta you need a Vegetable Slicer. A mandolin would also work great for this. I like to leave the skin on the zucchini for the color and added fiber.
Zucchini has a lot of moisture inside and tends to make the sauce watery if you don’t get the excess moisture out. I like to sprinkle a little salt on the noodles and let them drain for 15 minutes. Toss a couple times and squeeze out any extra moisture.
Make sure to taste the pasta with the sauce before seasoning with extra salt and pepper.
Serve this Zucchini “Pasta” with Tomato sauce for dinner tonight or as a light healthy lunch.
Zucchini "Pasta" with Tomato Sauce
- 4 zucchinis about 4 cups, cut into thin noodles with a vegetable slicer
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon basil chopped
- Parmesan cheese for garnish if desired
- Place zucchini noodles in a colander and sprinkle with salt.
- Allow the zucchini noodles to drain. Toss and squeeze out any extra moisture. Set aside.
- Add oil to a large saucepan.
- Add is onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add in crushed tomatoes, oregano and red pepper flakes. Bring to a light simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini noodles to the sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in basil and Parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately.