Gluten Free Zucchini “Pasta” mixed with a quick and easy tomato sauce! A healthy low carb meal that can be made in under 30 minutes. Serve this Zucchini spaghetti with a crispy baguette and side salad to make it a meal!
If you haven’t made zucchini noodles you are missing out. They are full of flavor, tender and not to mention are gluten free and vegetarian!
Instead of regular pasta zucchini is cut into the shape of noodles with the help of a Vegetable Slicer. They are a great way to sneak in some extra vegetables into your diet. The noodles are then tossed in a simple easy homemade tomato sauce.
You can enjoy these zucchini noodles raw or cooked. You can add the raw noodles directly to the sauce of saute them in a bit of oil before adding them in. I’ve done both methods and they both work great!
I love making these zucchini noodles with tomato sauce on busy weeknights. This recipe only takes 30 minutes to make, it can be made in one pan, plus it’s a healthy dinner you don’t have to feel guilty about eating!
How to cook Zucchini Noodles
- Spiralize zucchini: Making zucchini noodles at home does not take much effort at all! I love using this handheld zoodler, this countertop one or you could also use the attachment on your food processor if you have it as well. I like to leave the skin on the zucchini for the color and added fiber.
- Prepare the sauce for zucchini noodles: Add oil to a large saucepan. Add is onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until tender. Next add in garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add in crushed tomatoes, oregano and red pepper flakes. Bring to a light simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Add zucchini noodles to the sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- Serve: Stir in basil and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately.
- Store: Leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Reheat: In a large skillet and simmer until heated through and the sauce has thickened.
- Add protein: While I do enjoy these noodles as is you can add your favorite choice of protein to them! Chicken, beef, shrimp, ground turkey or sausage are all great choices. I also love adding homemade meatballs to this!
- More veggies! Add even more veggies to the sauce by sautéing finely chopped carrot or celery!
What to serve with Zucchini Noodles
- Easy One Hour Focaccia Bread
- Side Salad
- Grilled Chicken Caprese
- The BEST Chicken Parmesan
- Slow Cooker Italian Meatballs
- Baked Turkey Pesto Meatballs
Love this recipe? Here are more Italian Favorites to try!
- Easy Lasagna Roll Ups
- Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Shells
- Baked Turkey Pesto Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Tomato Sauce
- Italian Ham and White Bean Orzo Soup
- One Pan Italian Chicken Skillet
Zucchini "Pasta" with Tomato Sauce
- 4 zucchinis about 4 cups, cut into thin noodles with a vegetable spiralizer
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon basil chopped
- Parmesan cheese for garnish if desired
- Add oil to a large saucepan. Add is onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until tender. Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add in crushed tomatoes, oregano and red pepper flakes. Bring to a light simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini noodles to the sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in basil and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately.