Easy Italian Gnocchi Soup made with Kale and Spicy Sausage. A super flavorful soup that takes less than 30 minutes to make! This easy soup recipe is hearty, filling, and perfect for winter. Loaded with vegetables like kale and tomato, and healthy protein, it is the perfect pick-me-up on a chilly day! A hug in a bowl? Yes, please!
I just love to make soup in the winter! If you love Italian soups like this gnocchi soup recipe, check out my Easy Tortellini Tomato and Spinach Soup, and my Italian Ham and White Bean Orzo Soup is sure to hit the spot as well!
Colder weather = soup weather which I am so excited about! I have been making a lot of soups lately and freezing some of the leftovers. It’s so easy to double the recipe, and the leftovers make a great quick and easy lunch or dinner, especially on busy weeknights.
This Italian Gnocchi Soup is loaded with sausage, gnocchi, spinach, kale, crushed tomatoes, and chicken broth. Healthy, hearty, and comforting with a spicy kick, which is just what we all need when it’s chilly outside! The spice in this sausage gnocchi soup comes from the spicy Italian sausage and crushed red pepper. If you are not a fan of the spice feel free to substitute mild Italian sausage and omit the crushed red pepper.
For the gnocchi, you can use either store-bought or homemade. My homemade Leftover Mashed Potato Gnocchi is perfect for this Italian Gnocchi Soup recipe!
Another thing I love about soup recipes like this gnocchi sausage kale soup recipe is that everything is made in one pot and takes less than 30 minutes to throw together! I don’t know about you, but quick, easy, and less to clean later ticks all of my boxes!
- Ingredients for Italian Gnocchi Soup with Kale and Sausage
- How to make homemade gnocchi soup
- Storage and Freezing
- What are gnocchi made of?
- Can I make this into a vegan or vegetarian gnocchi soup?
- What can I serve with this Italian Gnocchi Soup with Kale and Sausage recipe?
- More soup recipes you will love:
Ingredients for Italian Gnocchi Soup with Kale and Sausage
The full ingredient list and measurements are listed in the printable recipe below.
- Onion & garlic: These foundation ingredients add so much flavor to many dishes like this gnocchi soup recipe, and also adds some extra nutrition.
- Italian Sausage: I used hot Italian sausage, but feel free to switch it for a milder sausage.
- Broth: Chicken broth tastes great in this sausage soup recipe! If vegetable broth is what you have on hand then that will work as well.
- Tomatoes: Just one can of diced tomatoes amplified the flavor so much, adding a slight acidity and tart kick.
- Gnocchi: You can use store-bought, or if you have leftover mashed potatoes, try making my Leftover Mashed Potato Gnocchi.
- Leafy greens: Both spinach and kale bring some extra flavor, color, and nutrition. I added kale because I like that the stems are slightly firm, even after cooking, which gives another texture to this sausage and gnocchi soup.
- Seasoning & spices: I added salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning to taste, along with one bay leaf. You can add as much of the seasonings as you like, or skip the crushed red pepper flakes if they’re too spicy.
How to make homemade gnocchi soup
Heat & sauté: Firstly, heat olive oil in a pot (I prefer cast-iron or a dutch oven pot), and add in the onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes until tender.
Add garlic then set aside: Secondly, add in garlic and sauté for an additional minute, and then take the onion and garlic out of the pot and set aside.
Brown the sausage: Next, add in the sausage and cook it until it’s cooked through and brown. (You do not have to add more oil. The sausage tends to give off a lot of grease when it is cooked).
Drain & return: Drain excess grease and add the onion and garlic back to the pot.
Add liquid and simmer: Then add in the liquid ingredients: broth and tomatoes, plus the bay leaf. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the gnocchi: Add in gnocchi and cook until it floats to the top, 2-3 minutes.
Stir in greens: Stir in spinach and kale and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until the greens are wilted.
Season & serve! Finally, season the sausage and gnocchi soup to taste with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning. Serve with some crusty bread on the side!
Storage and Freezing
Refrigerator: This Italian Sausage Gnocchi Soup recipe stores well in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
Freezer: Freeze your leftovers in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw completely before reheating.
Reheating: Reheat this easy gnocchi soup recipe in a pot on the stove until it is hot all the way through.
What are gnocchi made of?
Gnocchi is an Italian pasta that looks kind of like a dumpling and is usually made of flour, egg, and potatoes. Check out my Leftover Mashed Potato Gnocchi to try making your own. They’re delicious in this Italian gnocchi soup recipe or even with pesto!
Can I make this into a vegan or vegetarian gnocchi soup?
Yes! Use your favorite vegetarian sausage cut into small pieces or sliced, and replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth. You can also make or buy vegan gnocchi to make this soup recipe completely plant-based!
What can I serve with this Italian Gnocchi Soup with Kale and Sausage recipe?
I love serving this gnocchi and kale soup with crusty bread on the side, but here are some more homemade bread options:
- Garlic Cheese Biscuits
- The BEST Dinner Rolls
- Bacon Cheddar Biscuits
- The BEST Cornbread
- Pretzel Rolls
More soup recipes you will love:
- Easy Ham and Bean Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Slow Cooker Tortellini, Sausage, and Kale Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Spicy Shrimp Pho
- Turkey Tortilla Soup
Italian Gnocchi Soup with Kale and Sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 16 ounces hot Italian sausage
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 16 ounce package of gnocchi
- 1 1/2 cups spinach
- 1 1/2 cups kale
- salt and pepper
- crushed red peppers
- Italian seasoning
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron pot.
- Add in onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Add in garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Take the onion and garlic out of the pot and set aside.
- Add in sausage and brown. (You do not have to add more oil. The sausage tends to give off a lot of grease when it is cooked).
- Drain excess grease and add the onion and garlic back to the pot.
- Add in broth, tomatoes and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add in gnocchi and cook until it floats to the top, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and kale and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until the greens are wilted.
- Season soup to taste with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes and Italian seasoning.
- Serve immediately.