This Spicy Shrimp Pho is a twist on the traditional Vietnamese soup made with hot steaming chicken broth, shrimp, cilantro and fresh squeezed lime juice.
There is nothing like a steaming bowl of soup on a cold day. Especially one that is loaded with shrimp and hot steaming spicy broth. Typically rice noodles are used in a traditional pho recipe. I substituted whole wheat thin spaghetti for the pho noodles. Instead of the typical aromatic spices I used cilantro and lime to bring out the lighter flavors of the shrimp. This Shrimp Po soup is warm and comforting. The star of this dish is the broth. So simple yet so flavorful.
How to pronounce Pho
Pho (pronounced “fuh”) is a traditional Vietnamese soup made of noodles, thinly sliced beef, and beef stock. I made a twist on the original and used chicken broth and shrimp instead of beef.
Pho can be made a number of different ways. Feel free to try this with beef, tofu or even chicken.
I simplified this recipe to make it an easy 30 minute weeknight dinner. This soup is extremely simple to make. It looks a lot more intimidating than it is.
Typically Pho is made at the table with the ingredients placed on top of the broth. I like to make mine up ahead of time and place the noodles in the bottom of the bowl.
How to make Pho
To make this Spicy Shrimp Pho start by sautéing garlic, green onions and jalapeno in a large pot or dutch oven. Add in chicken broth, fish sauce and sesame oil. Bring to a simmer and toss in shrimp and mushrooms. Ladle on top of cooked pasta. Garnish with extra jalapeno slices, chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
Here are more soup recipes to enjoy!
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- Italian Meatball Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
Spicy Shrimp Pho
- 4 ounces whole wheat thin spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno minced
- 2 tablespoons green onion sliced thin
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup button mushrooms thinly sliced
- 12 ounces large shrimp uncooked
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- Cook spaghetti until aldente.
- Meanwhile add oil to a large pot or dutch oven.
- Add garlic, jalapeno and green onions. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in chicken stock, fish sauce and sesame oil. Bring to a simmer.
- Stir in mushrooms and shrimp. Simmer until the mushrooms are tender and the shrimp is fully cooked.
- Take off of the heat and stir in pepper, lime juice, and cilantro.
- Divide the noodles among the 4 bowls and pour the soup on top.
- Garnish with extra lime wedges and cilantro if desired.