Homemade Pretzel Rolls baked to perfection and topped with sesame seeds, salt and poppy seeds. They are a lot easier to make at home than you think!
Making pretzel rolls at home are a lot easier to make than you think! They take about 1-2 hours total rising time and 20 minutes in the oven. These Pretzel Rolls are totally worth the effort.
These pretzel rolls are chewy, golden brown, salty with a bit of sweetness from the honey. Sprinkle on your favorite toppings. I love poppy seeds, sesame seeds and a good helping of coarse salt.
The secret to the pretzel flavor is the boiling water + baking soda mixture. Make sure to use a pot big enough to hold the water and give you a little extra room for the baking soda. The water can overflow when the baking soda gets added.
Load these pretzel rolls up with your favorite sandwich topping. I love these served warm with butter or with shredded cheese sprinkled inside. Either way these rolls are amazing!!
I also recommend whipping up a cheese sauce to serve these with as well! Enjoy!
- 1 cup milk I used 1%
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 12 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 egg whisked
- 1 tablespoon water
- coarse salt
- poppy seeds
- sesame seeds
- shredded cheese
- Heat milk and butter in a saucepan or the microwave until the temperature reaches 130 degrees.
- Add the heated milk and butter to a stand mixer with the dough hook attached.
- Add in honey, yeast and salt and stir to combine.
- Add in flour, 1 cup at a time on low speed. If dough is still sticking to the bottom add more flour.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes in the stand mixer. (If you do not have a stand mixer knead by hand)
- Shape into a ball and place the dough in a large bowl lightly coated in oil.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and place in a warm area until the dough doubles in size. Usually takes about an hour.
- Divide the dough into 6 rolls. (You can do smaller or larger rolls depending on your use). Cover and let the rolls rest for an additional 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Boil water in a large pot. (Make sure to give yourself extra room. Baking soda will make the water foam up and rise) Add in baking soda.
- Drop rolls into the water making sure not to over crowd the pot. Cook for 2 minutes and remove with a slotted spoon and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Make sure the rolls do not touch.
- Combine the egg and water and whisk until combined.
- Brush the rolls with egg wash.
- Cut two slits in the top of each roll. You can do crosswise or side by side.
- Sprinkle the rolls with salt, poppy seeds and sesame seeds (if using) and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool for a couple of minutes on the baking sheet and serve!
Adapted from Allrecipes.com