Super Easy 2 Ingredient Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken. Chicken breasts are slow-cooked until tender and juicy in a tangy barbecue sauce. Serve warm on a brioche bun! This easy make-ahead meal is perfect for Memorial Day, summer barbecues or parties! It’s my go to meal whenever I am feeding a crowd!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken
I love dinners that are quick and easy and only require a couple of minutes of prep time. That is why this bbq chicken is one of my top favorite crockpot chicken recipes! It’s super easy to make, only has two ingredients, and always turns out incredibly juicy and tender without a lot of effort. It is seriously fool proof! This pulled barbecue chicken is perfect for picnics, barbecues, or parties!
For this Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken recipe, you can use either homemade barbecue sauce or store-bought (I’ve used Sweet Baby Ray’s before and it’s always delicious.) You could also make this with my Homemade Bourbon Barbecue Sauce. It’s so good and easy to throw together. It can be kept in the fridge for up to two weeks.
For a low carb version serve this crock-pot chicken in a bowl with veggies and cauliflower rice!
Ingredients for Crock pot BBQ Chicken
- Chicken: I used boneless skinless chicken breasts, however, boneless skinless chicken thighs would be great as well!
- BBQ Sauce: I love making my own Homemade BBQ Sauce for this recipe, but when I’m pressed for time I just use store-bought for convenience. If using store bought barbecue sauce I like to add some spices: onion powder, garlic powder and pepper to enhance the flavors! You can also add some tabasco for a kick of heat. Just adjust to taste!
How to make BBQ Chicken in the Slow Cooker
- This shredded bbq chicken couldn’t be easier to make. Simply add the chicken breasts (or thighs) to the crockpot along with your barbecue sauce (homemade or store-bought). Toss to coat the chicken in the barbecue sauce and cover.
- Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours or until fully cooked and the chicken shreds easily. Keep in mind that thinner chicken breasts won’t take as long to cook and thicker thicken breasts may need a little longer.
- Shred the chicken using two forks in the slow cooker. Place slow cooker on the keep warm setting until you are ready to serve.
How to make your own BBQ Sauce
Making your own Barbecue Sauce at home is super simple. I love making this crockpot barbecue chicken recipe with my Bourbon Barbecue Sauce. This barbecue sauce has the perfect amount of heat and sweetness with a bit of tang. I like to double the recipe and store leftovers in the fridge for up to a month or freeze them for up to 6 months. To make this barbecue sauce:
- Start by heating oil in a medium saucepan. Next, add onion and saute until tender and golden brown. Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Next stir in ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, bourbon (you can omit this if you prefer), brown sugar, salt, pepper, and chili powder. Simmer for 15 minutes or longer to let the flavors develop!
What to serve with this Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
- Macaroni and Cheese
- BLT Pasta Salad
- Baked Beans
- Macaroni Salad
- Broccoli Salad
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- Corn Muffins
- Creamy Pea Salad
Storage & Reheating Instructions
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Reheat in the oven or microwave until heated through.
- Freeze in an airtight container or zip-top bag for up to 3 months. Thaw completely before reheating.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I put frozen chicken in the slow cooker? No! Frozen chicken should never be added to the crockpot. Always make sure to defrost your chicken first before adding it to the slow cooker. Cooking frozen chicken in the slow cooker will put the chicken in the danger zone during cooking and could potentially cause a food borne illness.
- How long does it take to cook chicken in the slow cooker? For this slow cooker BBQ chicken recipe it’s 3-4 hours on high and 6-7 hours on low. I would also keep in mind that thicker cuts of chicken will take longer to cook. Test your chicken half way through to see if it easily shreds.
- How do I keep chicken from drying out in the crockpot? To keep the chicken from drying out, make sure you don’t overcook it. You can also use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. They’re fattier and always a little juicier.
- Do I need to add liquid to the chicken in the slow cooker? No. The chicken itself gives off liquid as it cooks so all you need is the BBQ sauce. Adding extra liquid will make this Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken recipe very watery.
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- Slow Cooker Firecracker Chicken Meatballs
- Easy Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
- The BEST Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken
- Place chicken in the slow cooker and pour the barbecue sauce on top. Toss to coat the chicken in the sauce.
- Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours or until fully cooked and the chicken shreds easily.
- Using two forks shred the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Serve on sandwiches will extra barbecue sauce from the slow cooker if desired.