This Instant Pot Barbecue Chicken recipe is the perfect dish for busy weeknights and meal-prepping! Serve on a bun as a sandwich or with rice and roasted veggies. It’s a meal the whole family will love!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
Easy Instant Pot Barbecue Chicken
Are you looking for a super easy weeknight meal that doubles as the perfect meal-prepping dish? Then, look no further. You’ve found it!
This Instant Pot Barbecue Chicken recipe is one of my all-time favorites because it’s so easy and yields a lot of shredded chicken that’s perfect for eating throughout the week as a sandwich, main course, on a pizza, or in a quesadilla. Honestly, the options are endless! You only need 8 ingredients and a few minutes to make this dish from start to finish.
If you’re ever in a pinch and don’t know what to make with what you’ve got on hand, this Instant Pot shredded barbecue chicken recipe is here to save the day!
You only need 8 pantry staple ingredients to make this quick and easy Instant Pot Barbecue Chicken!
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts: You can also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs, if you prefer.
- Barbecue Sauce: Use your favorite from off the shelf! You could also make your own homemade barbecue sauce if you prefer!
- Chicken Broth: I like using low-sodium broth so I can better control the amount of sodium in what I’m cooking. Organic and grass-fed, if possible!
- Worcestershire Sauce: This adds a ton of flavor that compliments the barbecue sauce well!
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Helps brighten up the dish without being too fruity like citrus juice. You can also use white distilled vinegar or red wine vinegar, if needed.
- Brown Sugar: I prefer light brown sugar here so the molasses flavor isn’t too strong or overpowering, while still adding the needed sweetness.
- Onion Powder and Garlic Powder: These take this barbecue chicken to the next level!
How To Make Barbecue Chicken in the Instant Pot
Simply add all of the ingredients to the Instant Pot, and stir to combine. Cover with the secure lid, and pressure cook on HIGH for 15 minutes. Once the steam has released, remove the lid and shred the chicken in the instant pot with two forks. Serve shredded barbecue chicken immediately, and enjoy!
If you’re wondering if you can make barbecue chicken in the slow cooker, the answer is … yes! It will just obviously have to cook longer, but this is perfect for setting up in the morning and walking away until it’s time to serve for dinner. You can find my recipe for Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken here!
How To Serve Shredded Barbecue Chicken
- On a bun as a barbecue sandwich with some coleslaw and french fries
- As the entree with a side of mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese or rice and roasted veggies
- On a pizza or in a quesadilla
Storage, Freezing, and Reheating Instructions
- Store leftover Instant Pot Barbecue Chicken in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freeze cooled and cooked barbecue chicken in an airtight, freezer-safe container or plastic bag for up to 3 months. You can also freeze this chicken raw with the barbecue sauce for up to 3 months. You can cook the chicken from frozen in the Instant Pot just make sure to add about 5-10 more minutes to the cooking time.
- Reheat thawed or chilled chicken in the microwave or stove top for 3-5 minutes, or until warmed through.
More Instant Pot Recipes To Try
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Instant Pot Carnitas
- Easy Instant Pot Deviled Eggs
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- Instant Pot Spaghetti