Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
This Instant Pot Shredded Chicken is the absolute easiest and simplest way to batch cook juicy, tender chicken to eat on its own or use in recipe like my White Chicken Chili and Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup!
Easy Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Recipe
I hesitate to even call this a recipe because it is so incredibly simple and only requires 6 ingredients that you probably have in your kitchen right now. Cooking chicken in the Instant Pot ensures that it stays juicy and doesn’t dry out. This method yields tender, flavorful, perfect shredded chicken every time!
I love making this Instant Pot Shredded Chicken recipe at the beginning of the week to use in meals throughout the week to cut down on cooking time and get dinner on the family table as quickly as possible. It also freezes beautifully, and with only 12 minutes of cooking time in the Instant Pot, you can make big batches of this back to back to stock your freezer with ready-to-use chicken for the next 3 months!
When I said this recipe was simple, I wasn’t exaggerating! You only need 6 ingredients to make the juiciest, quickest, best shredded chicken:
- Two pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Chicken broth (I like homemade, but low-sodium store-bought is fine.)
- Onion powder
- Garlic Powder
How To Make Shredded Chicken in the Instant Pot
- Cook the Chicken: Add chicken, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder to the Instant Pot. Pour in the chicken broth. Place the lid on top securely, and set the valve to sealing. Pressure cook on HIGH raw chicken for 12 minutes and frozen chicken for 16 minutes.
- Shred the Chicken: Allow the steam to naturally release then shred the chicken in the Instant Pot, in a stand mixer, or on a cutting board.
- Use in Your Favorite Recipes: Use this shredded chicken for meal-prepping or in the recipes listed below! This chicken can also be frozen for up to 3 months stored in an airtight container.
TIP: Don’t toss the liquid from the Instant Pot! This is some fo the most flavorful chicken broth you could have. If there’s enough leftover, save it to use in your favorite recipes that call for chicken broth. Or sip on it plain!
What To Make with Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- White Chicken Chili
- King Ranch Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Carnitas
- Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Easy Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Chow Mein
- Cajun Chicken Pasta Bake
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Burrito Bowls
Storage, Freezing, and Reheating Instructions
- Store leftovers in an airtight container or plastic bag in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freeze cooled shredded chicken in a freezer-safe, airtight container or plastic bag for up to 3 months.
- Reheat thawed chicken in a microwave-safe bowl or plate for 2-3 minutes, or longer if needed, until warmed through. Stir halfway through. Add a splash of chicken stock if dry.
More Recipes To Try
If you enjoyed this Instant Pot Shredded Chicken, then you’ll love these other meal prep-friendly recipes:
- Honey Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
- Chicken Shawarma
- Instant Pot Pork Carnitas
- Slow Cooker Mexican Beef
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
This Instant Pot Shredded Chicken is the absolute easiest and simplest way to batch cook juicy, tender chicken perfectly every time!
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Add chicken, salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder to the Instant Pot. Pour in the chicken broth. Place the lid on top and set the valve to sealing.
- For fresh raw chicken: Pressure cook on high for 12 minutes. For frozen raw chicken: Pressure cook on high for 16 minutes.
- Allow the steam to naturally release then shred the chicken in the Instant Pot, in a stand mixer or on a cutting board.
- Use this shredded chicken in your favorite recipes! This chicken can also be frozen for up to 3 months stored in an airtight container!