This Lemon Pepper Chicken is a family favorite! The Chicken breasts are breaded in a lemon pepper coating then seared in a hot pan then finished with a lemon butter sauce! The chicken turns out tender and juicy and the sauce is amazing! You have to make this recipe it will not disappoint!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
The BEST Lemon Pepper Chicken
If you are in a chicken rut and need a flavorful, easy chicken dinner, then look no further! Lemon pepper chicken is packed with flavor and is so tender and juicy. Plus, you need just one pan and you can get this dinner on the table in less than 20 minutes!
The trick to the BEST Lemon Pepper Chicken is slicing the chicken breast in half so the chicken is nice and thin and cooks fast AND stays juicy! Then I take the chicken cutlets and dredge them in a lemon pepper flour mixture! After they are seared over high heat I add in butter and lemon juice which makes a quick sauce. The sauce is so simple yet so delicious I could seriously drink it!
I like to serve the chicken and the extra sauce over some pasta, mashed potatoes or even rice.
- Chicken Breast: Slice the chicken breast in half and pound them out so that they are all consistent thickness. This will ensure that the chicken can get cooked in the middle before it is too brown on the outside!
- Flour: We are going to dip the chicken in some flour in order to get a nice golden crust on the outside.
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning: This is the star of the show! Lemon pepper seasoning is slightly tangy and savory for the perfect flavors.
- Italian Seasoning: Italian seasoning complements the lemon pepper seasoning and adds a little extra herby goodness!
- Sugar: A little bit of sugar really rounds out the flavors and lets that lemon pepper shine. Don’t worry, your chicken is not going to turn out sweet.
- Olive Oil & Butter: Olive oil and butter are used to sauté the chicken and create a bit of buttery sauce!
- Lemon: Fresh lemon is needed her for the best flavor!
- To Serve: Top it off with freshly chopped parsley!
How to Make This Recipe
To make the perfect lemon pepper chicken, follow these simple steps:
- Make the Seasoning Mixture: Add flour, lemon pepper seasoning, Italian seasoning, and sugar to a shallow bowl.
- Dredge Chicken: Dredge each chicken breast in the flour and seasonings, set aside.
- Sauté: In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. When the pan is nice and hot, add in the chicken breasts and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees. The cooking time will depend on the thickness of your chicken.
- Make Sauce: Turn off the heat and add in the butter and lemon juice. Swirl the pan to spread the butter around and help it melt. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately with fresh chopped parsley for serving!
Tips for Success
- Don’t over cook the chicken! Chicken breast is pretty easy to over cook, so make sure you only cook it until it is at 165 degrees F. You can check the temperature using a meat thermometer!
- Make sure to preheat the skillet! You want the skillet to be nice and hot before adding the chicken to get a good sear!
- Dab the chicken dry before dredging. It is always a good idea to dab your chicken dry with paper towels before seasoning or dredging! Too much moisture means the chicken won’t sear as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to use chicken breast for this recipe?
While I like using chicken breast for this lemon pepper chicken recipe, you can also use any thin cut chicken like chicken tenders or boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I would avoid using any chicken that has the bones in it, since we want this chicken to cook up pretty quickly!
Do I need fresh lemon?
You don’t need fresh lemon but I prefer fresh lemon for the taste. If you don’t have fresh lemon on hand, you can use bottled in the sauce. Most of the lemon flavor will come from the lemon pepper seasoning!
How to Store leftover chicken?
Store any leftover chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through!
Lemon pepper chicken is versatile and can be served in so many ways! Try pairing it with some of my favorites:
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes or Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- Pasta with Garlic and Oil
- Roasted Broccoli
- Leftover Mashed Potato Gnocchi
- Panzanella Salad
- Broccoli Rice Cheese Casserole
More Chicken Dinner Recipes to Try
- Best Grilled Chicken
- Chipotle Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- 30 Minute Lemon Chicken
- Chicken Shawarma
- Easy Teriyaki Chicken
Lemon Pepper Chicken
- Add flour, lemon pepper seasoning, Italian seasoning and sugar to a shallow bowl.
- Dredge each chicken breast in the flour and seasonings, set aside.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat. When the pan is nice and hot add in the chicken breasts and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees. (The cooking time will depend on the thickness on your chicken breast).
- Turn off the heat and add in the butter and lemon juice. Swirl the pan to spread the butter around and help it melt.Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediate with fresh chopped parsley for serving!