This rich and creamy roasted red pepper and tomato soup is an easy weeknight meal that takes less than 30 minutes to make from start to finish. Topped with crumbled feta, crispy croutons, and fresh parsley, this is an entire meal packed into one bowl!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
I am a big tomato soup fan, but I’m an even bigger Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup fan. The combination of the sweet and smoky jarred roasted peppers and the slightly spicy fire-roasted tomatoes is out of this world AMAZING. (Sorry-not-sorry, tomato soup, but you’ve been upgraded!)
This recipe serves four, but it can easily be doubled or tripled. I like to top off each bowl of soup with crumbled feta, croutons, and fresh parsley. The feta cheese adds a nice tang to the soup, and the croutons add some needed crunch. The parsley gives each bite a fresh herby flavor, and the green really pops against the red puree.
Rich, comforting and full of flavor, this soup has a super silky, rich texture that will warm you up from the inside out. Perfect for those cold months when you crave filling and satisfying comfort food.
What Makes This Soup So Good
- The red peppers and fire roasted tomatoes add so much flavor to this soup. The fire roasted tomatoes give the soup a hint of smokiness that’s balanced well with their sweetness.
- During the summer I plan to make this with fresh tomatoes and peppers that I roast myself. This would be a great way to use up extra tomatoes in the summer.
- This Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup only takes 30 minutes to prepare. Most of the ingredients you’ll already have in your pantry.
- I like serving this soup with grilled cheese or a side salad to make it a full meal. Although I have been known to just have soup for dinner.
As the name suggests, the star ingredients of this creamy roasted red pepper and tomato soup recipe are the fire-roasted tomatoes and roasted red peppers.
Conveniently, both of these ingredients are canned / jarred, which means less work for you!
Additionally, the fresh and dried herbs make this homemade tomato soup stand apart from other recipes.
How To Make It
Start by adding the olive oil and onions to a large pot. Cook for 2 minutes until opaque. Add in garlic, and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
Then, add the red peppers, roasted tomatoes, and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes.
Remove the soup from the heat, and allow it to cool slightly. Place in a blender, and pulse until smooth and creamy. You can also use an immersion blender and puree the soup right in the pot!
Then, add the soup back to the pot (if you used the blender) along with heavy cream, red pepper flakes, oregano, parsley, pepper, and salt. Warm up the soup on low, if needed, and serve immediately. Don’t use higher heat, as it may cause the cream to curdle. Top with feta cheese, croutons, and parsley, and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- If time allows, let your heavy cream come to room temperature before adding it to the soup. Cold cream can sometimes break apart when added to something hot.
- Add more veggies! Since this roasted red pepper and tomato soup is pureed, you can amp up the veggies easily without anyone being the wiser. Carrots and celery are great additions!
- Only puree half of this soup for a more rustic texture. Or skip the pureeing altogether, if desired!
- Use more fresh herbs like basil, thyme, or rosemary!
- Change up the cheese! Crumbled goat cheese, shredded mozzarella, or grated parmesan would also be delicious.
- Use your own roasted tomatoes and roasted peppers. I always have tons of fresh tomatoes and peppers in the summer and this is a great way to use them up!
Store cooled leftover roasted red pepper and tomato soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze this soup for easy meal-prep in a freezer-safe, airtight container or plastic bag for up to 3 months. Freeze flat if using a plastic bag for optimal storage in your freezer.
More Soup Recipes To Try
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- Italian Meatball Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a review! This helps other readers and my website! I love to hear your feedback!
Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced roughly chopped
- 1 cup roasted red peppers roughly sliced
- 2 15.5 ounce cans fire roasted tomatoes, with juices
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp fresh parsley, plus more for garnishing chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- crumbled feta cheese, for garnishing if desired
- croutons, for topping if desired
- Add olive oil and onions to a large pot. Cook for 2 minutes.Add in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in red peppers, roasted tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes. Take off of the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Place in a blender and pulse until smooth and creamy. About 30 seconds. You can also use an immersion blender and puree the soup right in the pot. Add the soup back to the pot along with heavy cream, red pepper flakes, oregano, parsley, pepper and salt to taste. Warm up the soup on low if needed and serve immediately with feta cheese, croutons and parsley if desired.
Originally published Feb 5, 2015