If you’re not making your own homemade croutons, then this recipe may just convince you! This is a super simple homemade croutons recipe that instantly levels up any soup or salad. Make a big batch, and enjoy them all week long!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
Homemade Croutons Recipe
If you’ve never made your own homemade croutons from scratch, then this recipe is the perfect one to make as your first attempt! I love making these at the start of the week to use on salads or in soups (or even just to snack on). They’re crispy and full of flavor. The perfect crunchy addition to so many of my favorite recipes!
This homemade croutons recipe is a great way to use leftover bread with a few pantry staple ingredients to make something that is as impressive as it is delicious. Minimal effort for maximum wow factor!
What Are Croutons?
Croutons are basically torn up or cut cubes of bread tossed with olive oil and seasonings and rebaked until crisp. Most often croutons are made with stale day old bread and used for topping for soups and salads!
Homemade Crouton Ingredients
You only need a handful of ingredients to make these easy homemade croutons: leftover bread (like French bread or any hearty white bread), extra-virgin olive oil, and a couple dry seasonings.
I used garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper, but you could use any seasonings you prefer.
How To Make Homemade Croutons
- Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees. Any higher, and you risk burning the croutons quickly.
- Add the chopped bread cubes to a large sheet tray. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with the dry seasonings — garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat all of the bread cubes in oil and seasonings evenly.
- Bake for 10 minutes, stirring halfway or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with your favorite soups or salads. And enjoy!
How To Store Homemade Croutons
Croutons can be left at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Do not freeze or refrigerate them.
Serve these best homemade croutons as a garnish for any of these delicious homemade recipes:
- Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
- Turkey Meatball and Vegetable Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Homemade Tomato Soup
- Creamy Broccoli Spinach Soup
- Easy Tortellini and Spinach Soup
- Lasagna Soup
- Mexican Kale Salad
- Grilled Chicken Cobb Salad
- Berry Spinach Salad
- Lemon Herb Dressing
- Blue Cheese Dressing
variations / swaps
- Make it spicier! Crushed red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, chili powder or paprika.
- Everything bagel croutons! Add 1 teaspoon of everything bagel seasoning! Or make your own by combining sesame seeds, dried minced onion, dried minced garlic, poppy seeds, sea salt.
- Make it cheesy! Add grated parmesan cheese on top!
- Add fresh herbs: Like thyme, rosemary or fresh basil!
More Easy Recipes To Try
- 5 Ingredient Homemade Pesto
- Spicy Pita Chips
- Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Pretzel Bites
- Homemade Everything Bagels
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.Add bread cubes to a large sheet tray. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Toss to coat all of the bread cubes in oil and seasonings.
- Bake for 10 minutes stirring halfway or until golden brown. Serve immediately with your favorite soups or salads. Croutons can be left at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.