If you’re not making your own homemade croutons, then this recipe may just convince you! This is a super simple homemade croutons recipe that instantly levels up any soup or salad. Make a big batch, and enjoy them all week long!
Homemade Croutons Recipe
If you’ve never made your own homemade croutons from scratch, then this recipe is the perfect one to make as your first attempt! I love making these at the start of the week to use on salads or in soups (or even just to snack on). They’re crispy and full of flavor. The perfect crunchy addition to so many of my favorite recipes!
This homemade croutons recipe is a great way to use leftover bread with a few pantry staple ingredients to make something that is as impressive as it is delicious. Minimal effort for maximum wow factor!
What Are Croutons?
Croutons are basically torn up or cut cubes of bread tossed with olive oil and seasonings and rebaked until crisp. Most often croutons are made with stale day old bread and used for topping for soups and salads!
You only need a handful of ingredients to make these easy homemade croutons: leftover bread (like French bread or any hearty white bread), extra-virgin olive oil, and a couple dry seasonings.
I used garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper, but you could use any seasonings you prefer.
How To Make Homemade Croutons
- Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees. Any higher, and you risk burning the croutons quickly.
- Add the chopped bread cubes to a large sheet tray. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with the dry seasonings — garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat all of the bread cubes in oil and seasonings evenly.
- Bake for 10 minutes, stirring halfway or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with your favorite soups or salads. And enjoy!
How To Store Homemade Croutons
Croutons can be left at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Do not freeze or refrigerate them.
Serve these best homemade croutons as a garnish for any of these delicious homemade recipes:
- Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
- Turkey Meatball and Vegetable Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Homemade Tomato Soup
- Creamy Broccoli Spinach Soup
- Easy Tortellini and Spinach Soup
- Lasagna Soup
- Grilled BLT Wedge Salad
- Mexican Kale Salad
- Grilled Chicken Cobb Salad
- Berry Spinach Salad
- Lemon Herb Dressing
- Blue Cheese Dressing
Easily customize this homemade croutons recipe to fit your taste or what your serving it with by changing up the seasonings. You could add some crushed red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, chile powder, or paprika for heat. You could also season them with everything but the bagel seasoning to serve as desired or enjoy as a snack.
Additionally, you could garnish these homemade croutons with some grated parmesan cheese for the second half of the baking process to add a cheesy flavor, or mix in some fresh chopped herbs like thyme, rosemary, or basil.
More Easy Recipes To Try
- 5 Ingredient Homemade Pesto
- Spicy Pita Chips
- Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Pretzel Bites
- Homemade Everything Bagels
If you're not making your own homemade croutons, then this recipe may just convince you! This is a super simple homemade croutons recipe that instantly levels up any soup or salad. Make a big batch, and enjoy them all week long!
- 4 heaping cups left over bread, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/8 salt
- 1/8 pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.Add bread cubes to a large sheet tray. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Toss to coat all of the bread cubes in oil and seasonings.
- Bake for 10 minutes stirring halfway or until golden brown. Serve immediately with your favorite soups or salads. Croutons can be left at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.