This super easy 5 Ingredient Homemade Basil Pesto recipe takes only 5 minutes to make and is so much better than store-bought. Plus, I’ve collected 15 of my favorites recipes to use this pesto in one place. Enjoy!
Homemade Basil Pesto
What do you do when you have an abundance of basil in your garden? You make pesto! Pesto is super easy to make and doesn’t require a lot of ingredients or time and is a great way to use up extra basil.
This Homemade Basil Pesto recipe only requires 5 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep time. It’s delicious and super easy to make!
Why You Should Make your Own Pesto
Simply put, making your own pesto at home tastes so much better and can be customized to your taste. Not to mention it’s so easy to do! You can always add more oil for a thinner pesto or make it thick and chunky with less. If the basil flavor is too strong for your taste substitute spinach leaves. You can also substitute any herbs of nuts you have on hand. I love making pesto with walnuts and pecans.
How To Make Homemade Basil Pesto
Wondering how to make pesto? Simply add of the ingredients — basil, pine nuts, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper — to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Season as needed, and enjoy!
- Change up the greens and herbs! Mint, parsley, arugula, spinach, kale, broccoli, carrot greens … the options are endless!
- Mix up the nuts! Pecans, walnuts, and almonds work beautifully here.
- Customize the flavor profile to your liking! I like adding lemon juice, walnut oil, sun dried tomatoes, and crushed red pepper flakes.
Storage Instructions for Pesto
Store your homemade pesto in a tightly sealed container. To help extend the life of the pesto cover the top with plastic wrap making sure to touch the top of the pesto so air doesn’t get in. Another trick is to add a thin layer of oil to the top of the pesto to also help keep the air out. Pesto stays good in the refrigerator for up to a week.
You can also freeze it in an ice cube tray. Just leave a little space to top with olive oil to keep it from browning.
15 Perfect Pesto Recipes
- Caprese Crostini by Chef Savvy
- Pesto Pinwheels by Well plated
- Pesto Cheesy Bread by Dinner, then dessert
- Baked Frittata with Arugula Pesto by Gimme some oven
- Avocado Pesto Toast by Cookie and kate
- Pesto Breakfast Sandwich by A couple cooks
- Turkey Pesto Meatballs by Chef Savvy
- Zucchini Noodles with Pesto by Chef Savvy
- Pesto Pizza by Once upon a chef
- Parsley Pesto Gnocchi by Chef Savvy
5 Ingredient Homemade Pesto Plus 15 Pesto Recipes
- 2 cups basil packed
- 1/4 cup pinenuts
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor. Pulse until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.