The BEST Blue Cheese Dressing. Creamy, rich and tangy this blue cheese dressing goes perfectly on salads or as a dip! Ready in less than 5 minutes and only requires a handful of pantry ingredients. So much better than store bought!
Blue cheese dressing has to be hands down my favorite condiment! It is amazing with anything that involves buffalo sauce and is perfectly rich, tangy and creamy! This blue cheese dressing recipe tastes so much better than store bought and only requires a few ingredients. All you need for this recipe is some pantry staples and a few minutes of prep time.
I always find this dip tastes better the longer it sits. I like to make this dressing a couple hours ahead of time or even the day before to really let the flavors develop.
Homemade blue cheese dressing is typically made with buttermilk, or vinegar for some acidity. I choose to use fresh lemon juice instead to lighten up the dressing. I also added sour cream to give the dressing a bit of tang.
When you are making this dressing at home I would suggest whisking the dressing first before adding in the blue cheese crumbles. After you’re done whisking, fold in your blue cheese crumbles delicately so you still get large chunks of blue cheese in the dressing. If you prefer your dressing on the smoother / creamy side blend it up in the food processor or blender.
- Mayonnaise: Thickens up the blue cheese salad dressing perfectly!
- Sour Cream: To lighten up this dressing substitute the sour cream can be substituted with yogurt.
- Lemon Juice: If you don’t have lemon juice you can substitute it with any type of vinegar or use buttermilk in place of the milk and lemon juice.
- Milk: Is added to create the perfect consistency. You can substitute buttermilk and omit the lemon juice if you prefer.
- Garlic Powder: You can also use fresh garlic if you have that on hand!
- Worcestershire sauce: Adds a nice
- Blue Cheese Crumbles: I prefer to use danish blue cheese crumbles! It’s on the milder side and is super creamy. You can also use gorgonzola!
- Chives: Add a nice pop of green and a bit of onion flavor to the dressing. You can substitute fresh chopped parsley or green onions instead.
How to make blue cheese dressing
In a medium bowl whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, milk, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce until combined. Stir in blue cheese and chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This dressing can be made days in advance and can be kept in the refrigerator covered in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
What to serve with blue cheese dressing
- Grilled BLT Wedge Salad
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Oven Fried Chicken
- Vegetables / Crudite
- French Fries
- Potato Salad
Here are more Easy Sauce Recipes to try!
- Chimichurri Sauce
- Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
- Enchilada Sauce
- Homemade Tomato Sauce
- Authentic Vodka Sauce
Blue Cheese Dressing
The BEST Blue Cheese Dressing. Creamy, rich and tangy this blue cheese dressing goes perfectly on salads or as a dip! So much better than storebought!
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1 ½ tablespoon chives chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, milk, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce until combined.
- Stir in blue cheese crumbles and chives. Make sure not to over mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to a week!