The BEST Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe. Creamy, rich, and tangy this blue cheese dressing goes perfectly on salads or as a dip! Ready in less than 5 minutes and only requires a handful of pantry ingredients. So much better than store-bought!
Blue cheese dressing has to be hands down my favorite condiment! It is amazing with anything that involves buffalo sauce and is perfectly rich, tangy, and creamy! This blue cheese dressing recipe tastes so much better than store-bought and only requires a few ingredients. All you need for this recipe is some pantry staples and a few minutes of prep time.
I always find this dip tastes better the longer it sits. I like to make this dressing a couple of hours ahead of time or even the day before to really let the flavors develop.
Homemade blue cheese dressing is typically made with buttermilk, or vinegar for some acidity. I choose to use fresh lemon juice instead to lighten up the dressing. I also added sour cream to give the dressing a bit of tang.
When you are making this dressing at home I would suggest whisking the dressing first before adding in the blue cheese crumbles. After you’re done whisking, fold in your blue cheese crumbles delicately so you still get large chunks of blue cheese in the dressing. If you prefer your dressing on the smoother / creamy side blend it up in the food processor or blender.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
What is blue cheese dressing made of?
- Mayonnaise: Thickens up the blue cheese salad dressing perfectly!
- Sour Cream: To lighten up this dressing substitute the sour cream can be substituted with yogurt.
- Lemon Juice: If you don’t have lemon juice you can substitute it with any type of vinegar or use buttermilk in place of the milk and lemon juice.
- Milk: Is added to create the perfect consistency. You can substitute buttermilk and omit the lemon juice if you prefer.
- Garlic Powder: You can also use fresh garlic if you have that on hand!
- Worcestershire sauce: Adds a nice
- Blue Cheese Crumbles: I prefer to use danish blue cheese crumbles! It’s on the milder side and is super creamy. You can also use gorgonzola!
- Chives: Add a nice pop of green and a bit of onion flavor to the dressing. You can substitute fresh chopped parsley or green onions instead.
How to make blue cheese dressing
In a medium bowl whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, milk, garlic powder, and Worcestershire sauce until combined. Stir in blue cheese and chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This dressing can be made days in advance and can be kept in the refrigerator covered in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
What goes with blue cheese dressing?
As a dip or drizzled, here are my favorite ways to eat this blue cheese dressing recipe:
- As a salad dressing on salads
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
- Pepperoni Bread
- Oven-Fried Chicken
- Vegetables / Crudite to dip
- French Fries
- Sweet potato fries
- Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges
- German Potato Salad or Instant Pot Potato Salad
- Mixed into coleslaw
Tips for Success
- Whip up the dressing first before mixing in the blue cheese crumbles. This keeps the blue cheese chunkier and in larger pieces.
- If you like a smooth blue cheese dressing, blend it with a blender or food processor.
- Use light mayonnaise and fat-free yogurt instead of sour cream to lighten up this blue cheese dressing recipe.
- This stores well in the fridge so make a double batch and use it all week as a dip or dressing.
Is blue cheese dressing just ranch?
Although they look similar, blue cheese dressing and ranch taste completely different! Blue cheese dressing has sharp blue cheese in it which has a distinct flavor. Ranch dressing is more herby and tends to be a little thinner in consistency compared to blue cheese dressing. If you’re looking for a great ranch recipe, try my Honey Jalapeño Ranch Dressing!
Does blue cheese dressing have mayo in it?
Yes, it usually does! Blue Cheese Dressing is a combination of mayonnaise, sour cream (or yogurt), lemon juice, milk, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, blue cheese, chives, salt, and pepper.
Is blue cheese dressing heart healthy?
This blue cheese dressing recipe contains plenty of calcium, and some heart-healthy fats, particularly if you use a healthy mayonnaise with avocado oil or olive oil in it instead of vegetable oil.
Here are more Easy Sauce Recipes to try!
- Chimichurri Sauce
- Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
- Enchilada Sauce
- Homemade Tomato Sauce
- Authentic Vodka Sauce
Blue Cheese Dressing
- In a medium bowl whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, milk, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce until combined.
- Stir in blue cheese crumbles and chives. Make sure not to over mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to a week!