This super tender skirt steak with chimichurri sauce is a delicious and easy way to capture the flavors of summer all year long! The charred beef pairs perfectly with the tart and flavorful homemade chimichurri sauce. Serve with a side salad and some grilled sweet potato wedges to complete the meal.
If you love steak, then you’e got to try my Grilled Steak Kebabs!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
Grilled Steak Is the Best Steak!
I love grilling season. It makes dinner time so much easier (and flavorful)! For this skirt steak, I marinate the beef overnight with a blend of lime juice, garlic, soy sauce, and honey and throw it on the grill when it’s time to eat. It only takes 10 minutes to throw everything together from start to finish!
While the steak is cooking, I whip up my homemade chimichuri sauce. It’s a combination of fresh cilantro, parsley, onion, garlic and fresh lime juice. This chimichuri sauce is awesome on grilled chicken or salmon, too.
For the grilled steak and steak marinade, you’ll need:
- One pound of skirt steak (or flank steak)
- Four garlic cloves (minced; can use more if preferred)
- Lime juice (fresh-squeezed is preferred, but bottled is fine)
- Olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Low-sodium soy sauce
- Red wine vinegar (can also use apple cider vinegar)
For the homemade chimichurri sauce, you’ll need:
- Diced onion (white or yellow)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Lime juice
- Red wine vinegar
- Black pepper
1/4 cup onion
1 cup cilantro
1 cup parsley
1/2 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
salt and pepper
How To Make This Steak
- First, marinate the steak. Add all of the ingredients including the steak to a large ziplock bag or pan. Marinade for at least an hour or overnight. When you are ready to eat, remove the steak from the marinade and discard the marinade.
- Preheat grill to high, and spray it with non stick cooking spray. (It is important to make sure the grill is really hot. It’s ready when the grill reaches 450-500 degrees.)
- While your steak is cooking (or while it’s marinating), make the chimichurri sauce. Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and pulse to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Cook the steak directly on the grill for 3-4 minutes per side until meat is nicely charred. Transfer steak to a cutting board and allow it to rest for 5-10 minutes. Thinly slice at an angle against the grain. Serve with chimichurri sauce, and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Cook the steak over very high heat for a short period of time. Skirt steak is a very thin cut of meat and only needs to be cooked for a few minutes on each side.
- Remove the membrane on the meat. Skirt steak has a thin membrane along the underside of the ribs which makes the steak tough. It is best to remove it before cooking for a juicy steak.
- After cooking, allow the steak to rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing into it. I like to slice thin angled slices against the grain.
- Spice up the chimichurri my adding a jalapeno to the mix!
Storage Reheating Instructions
- Store cooled grilled skirt steak and the chimichurri sauce in separate airtight containers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until warmed through, Be careful not to overcook or dry out the meat.
More Easy Recipes To Make on the Grill
- The BEST Grilled Chicken
- Easy Thai Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Maple Dijon Salmon
- Easy Korean Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Steak Kabobs
- Chicken Caprese
Skirt Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
- *Prep time does not include marinating time*
- Add all of the ingredients including the steak to a large ziplock bag or pan. Marinade for at least an hour or overnight.
- When you are ready to eat remove the steak from the marinade and discard the marinade.
- Preheat grill to high and spray the grill with non stick cooking spray. (It is important to make sure the grill is really hot. It's ready when the grill reaches 450-500 degrees)
- Cook 3-4 minutes per side until meat is nicely charred.
- Transfer steak to a cutting board and allow it to rest for 5-10 minutes. Thinly slice at an angle against the grain. Serve with Chimichurri Sauce.
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and pulse to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.