Thai Grilled Chicken marinated overnight in a sweet and spicy sauce then grilled until crispy. This Thai chicken turns out incredibly juicy and tender on the inside! Serve with fresh chopped cilantro, sesame seeds and lime wedges!
Thai Grilled Chicken
This Thai Grilled Chicken is one of my favorite ways to prepare chicken on the grill. The chicken gets marinated overnight or for a minimum of 3 hours and grilled until crispy and golden brown on the outside. The chicken comes out incredibly juicy and tender on the inside.
This Thai Grilled Chicken is loaded with flavor. The marinade is made of fresh ginger, garlic, thai chili sauce, low sodium soy sauce, fish sauce, light brown sugar, fresh squeezed lime juice and Sriracha. You can make it as spicy as you would like with a kick of Sriracha. I like to double the amount in this recipe because I like it extra spicy!
- Bone in and skin on chicken thighs: I love using bone in and skin on chicken thighs in this recipe. The skin gets crispy on the outside and the bone helps it to stay juicy on the inside. This recipe can be made with boneless chicken thighs or breasts. Just make sure to shorten the cooking time.
- Ginger: I prefer to use fresh grated ginger however ground ginger can be substituted in a pinch.
- Garlic: I always have to have garlic!
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce: If you do not have low sodium soy sauce you can substitute regular soy sauce with water so it’s not too salty. You can also substitute coconut aminios for a gluten free version!
- Thai Chili Sauce: Adds a sweetness and tang to the sauce and can be found in the International Isle in the grocery store.
- Fish sauce: Is a staple in Thai cooking! It adds a nice salty and savory flavor to the sauce.
- Light brown sugar: Adds a nice sweetness to the sauce. Honey can also be substituted.
- Cilantro: Fresh chopped cilantro for serving gives the chicken a burst of color and flavor!
How to make Thai Grilled Chicken
- Start by making the marinade: Combine fresh ginger, garlic, thai chili sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice and Sriracha into a small bowl. Pour all of the marinade except for 1/4 cup into a large ziplock bag.
- Marinate: Add in the chicken and place in the refrigerator overnight or for a minimum of three hours.
- Grill chicken: When you’re ready to cook preheat your grill to medium high heat. Grill chicken for 5-10 minutes, flip and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes or until fully cooked. Brush the remaining marinade mixture on top of the chicken.
- Serve: Immediately with fresh cilantro, sesame seeds or lime wedges if desired.
What to serve with Thai Grilled Chicken
- White or brown rice. For a low carb option try cauliflower rice
- Steamed vegetables
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Chow mein noodles
- Roasted Potatoes
- Vegetable Fried Rice
Here are more delicious chicken recipes to try!
- Easy Chicken Marsala
- The BEST Chicken Parmesan
- Easy Chicken Shawarma
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Easy One Pan Bourbon Chicken
- Easy Thai Chicken Satay
Thai Grilled Chicken
- 4 chicken thighs bone in and skin on
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1/2 cup thai chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1-2 teaspoons sriracha depending on how spicy you like it
- cilantro for serving if desired
- sesame seeds for garnish if desired
- lime wedges for garnish if desired
- *Note: Prep time does not include marinating time*
- Add all of the ingredients except for the chicken to a medium bowl.
- Pour the marinade into a large ziplock bag reserving ¼ of the marinade for brushing on top before serving.
- Add in chicken and place in the refrigerator overnight or for a minimum of three hours.
- When you're ready to cook heat your grill to medium high heat.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes, flip and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Brush the remaining marinade mixture on top of the chicken.
- Serve immediately with fresh cilantro, sesame seeds or lime wedges if desired.